St. Johns Asylum - September 2012 (Photo Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
History

Formerly, the Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum. The Asylum was built in 1852 and enlarged on several subsequent occasions in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. It was originally established jointly by Lindsey, Kesteven, Holland, Lincoln, Grimsby and Stamford, and managed by a Board of Visitors appointed by the contributing authorities. Kesteven and Grantham withdrew from the arrangement when the contract of Union expired in 1893 (eventually establishing the Kesteven County Asylum at South Rauceby, 1897).

The hospital was set in grounds of 120 acres which included gardens, farmland and a burial ground. In 1940 female patients were transferred to other hospitals, mainly Storthes Hall near Huddersfield, to make space for an Emergency Hospital, and many did not return until well after the end of the War. Administration of the hospital passed to the National Health Service in 1948. By the early 1960s it was known by its final name of St John’s Hospital. Patients were admitted from Harmston Hall Hospital when that hospital closed. St John’s Hospital itself was closed in December 1989 with the remaining patients transferred to other establishments. The site was sold for housing and most of the buildings apart from the central block were demolished.

Our Visit

So this post was a culmination of 2 visits over 2 weekends with a total of about 8 hours we covered most of the site, its a little heavy on fisheye shots my intention was to go round once with that then again with my 50mm prime but since this place was pretty bare there wasnt a great amount of detail that caught my eye and with that in mind I thought I'd keep the lens change to a minimal sporting only the 10-22mm and my 8mm fisheye.

First visit was just Jamie and myself we didn’t expect to be able to get access here so we had what’s left of R Asylum as a backup plan. Much to our surprise however we managed about 3 hours undetected and covered about 30%-40% of the Asylum. The place is pretty stripped bare now however its still a good explore. I really liked the ceilings in the cell corridors with the arched honey comb effect and the cells themselves were interesting.

The 2nd trip was with Jamie, Ryan and Adam this time we covered more ground I’d estimate around 80% with the remaining 20% pretty much inaccessible on that occasion. Again there wasn’t a lot more to see. Most of this place has been stripped out for redevelopment. We found another block of cells one of which had a cool door different to the rest. I did some light orb paintings in the basement and in a couple of the dark rooms on 30 second exposures and covered off a few areas I missed on the first visit as well as recapturing a couple of the interesting looking corridors.

SJ%20Asulym-1.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-2.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-3.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-4.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-5.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-6.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-7.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-8.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-9.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-10.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-11.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-12.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-13.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-14.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-15.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-16.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-17.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-18.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-19.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-20.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-21.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-22.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-23.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-24.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-25.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-26.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-27.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-28.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-29.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-30.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-31.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-32.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-33.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-34.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-35.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-36.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-37.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-38.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-39.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-40.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-41.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-42.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-43.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-44.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-45.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-46.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-47.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-48.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-50.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-51.jpg

SJ%20Asulym-52.jpg

Sorry for the crazy amount of photos but it was 2 visits :lol:

Last edited:
Ah St Johns... the one that got away... I WILL do this before it goes!

Nice work, some interesting pics there :)

I love this place, one of the few sites where the downstairs floors are more dangerous than the upstairs!

Smashing stuff and report, looks like your doing a cylum tour, we gotta get here , that staircase and the texured corridor ceilings look FAB!! :)

I am indeed well at least whats left of them before they are gone for good too many years of putting them off! I can see some road trips down south coming soon :)

Latest posts

Back