St Johns Mental Hospital, Bracebridge Heath - May 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lawn, opened in 1820 as the Lincoln Asylum, was the County's first purpose-built hospital for the treatment of the mentally ill. The Asylum was developed largely through the efforts of local physician, the Reverend Doctor Francis Willis. A caring and pioneering hospital, it was famous for removing all use of physical restraint and isolation and developing instead on a sympathetic and rehabilitative environment for its patients.

In the mid 1980s, with a change in emphasis towards the care of the mentally ill, the hospital became surplus to health authority requirements and was closed. Lincoln City Council decided to purchase the complex and its eight acres of grounds to establish a new visitor centre.

The Lawn was officially opened by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales in November 1990 and today includes excellent conference facilities, caters for civil marriages and receptions, and there is a cafe and shops. Special events are also held at the Lawn during the year, located in the many meeting rooms and around its beautiful gardens.

info nicked from a Lincoln council website

Just a quick update to anyone who is thinking of visiting, work is starting in the next two weeks according to security.
Also, I previously said that there was a lack of security, guess I must of been lucky on the day I went the first time, been back again and got busted by secca and dog within about 40 minutes.

Apparently he'd caught 10 other explorers over the weekend :)

If you are going then I'd probably go sharpish!

stevejd said:
Sorry to correct you but it's not St John's. This picture is of The Lawn, another psychiatric hospital that predates St John's and reputedly provided care for mad King Goerge

No worries mate, I'd much rather know what the place actually is. I'd just assumed that St Johns was the one and only in Lincoln. Thanks for the info :)

-RR

It's now a venue for hire, parties and such
Not much left of the asylum but I believe there is a historical display but thats all

Back