St Lawrence, Norfolk

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrich

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
We were in Norfolk last week and discovered this place by accident on our way from Norwich to Caister. By no means derelict but no longer used for services and the door is not locked. Inside is a visitors book which has been signed by many people. The place stinks of mould and everything is dusty but there has been absolutely no vandalism or graffiti whatsoever. Can't help thinking if this place wasn't so far off the beaten track it'd be in a far worse state.
3379412749_5377de1a19_b.jpg

3380230968_7082c6079d_b.jpg

3380230490_c4b5488ab5_b.jpg

3380235718_7f119913b0_b.jpg

3380236212_309ff1b028_b.jpg

3379418079_7ce7313755_b.jpg

3379418627_3b652fc466_b.jpg

3380234060_d02408e7ed_b.jpg

3380232088_255810cfd4_b.jpg

3379415005_ef24a37924_b.jpg

That is just so delightful! I've never seen a round tower like that before...lots of unusual details, too.
Love the way the graveyard peters out into the surrounding countryside.
Lovely find, djrich. :)

Hello hello. I live about 5 miles down the road from that church and its an absolute gem. Its a typical Norfolk church because has got a round tower instead of a square one or perpendicular. There are literally hundreds of them dotted around the countryside and we are all very proud of them! Happy searching.:)

...about 185 surviving examples in the country, 124 are in Norfolk.

:lol: That probably says something about Norfolk...windmills! :mrgreen:
In Devon our peculiarity is an enormous amount of churches with North facing main doors. They are very unchristian and are known as the devil's door...which probably says a lot about Devon! ;):mrgreen:

Last edited:
Isnt that a bit streotypical Foxy! If you want Devilish I can photograph develish for you I will go to the Church where Black Shuck tore his claws down the church door while the Congregation were inside worshipping. The claw marks are on the door for all to see. Spooky e.h?

:lol: That probably says something about Norfolk...windmills! :mrgreen:
In Devon our peculiarity is an enormous amount of churches with North facing main doors. They are very unchristian and are known as the devil's door...which probably says a lot about Devon! ;):mrgreen:

Ah yes Windmills indeed, Because of the low lying nature of Norfolk there were hundreds of the buggers round these parts used for a variety of purposes but mainly for pumping water through the thousands of Ditches and Dykes in the area. Would you like me to get out there and shoot some Disused Windmills coz there are thousands to choose from.:)

If you want Devilish I can photograph develish for you I will go to the Church where Black Shuck tore his claws down the church door while the Congregation were inside worshipping. The claw marks are on the door for all to see. Spooky e.h?

Ah, that I would like to see...and the windmills. Love windmills. :)

Im very surprised and pleased that the church is left open. Was the safe there still with the holy paraphenalia?

Jacko everything seems to still be there, hymn books, even the organ, it's just not used anymore.

Hello Jacko. Recently in our local rag there was a spate of Chavs going round a lot of the country churches nicking the Chalices and crucifixes, Candlesticks etc. Sacriligeous if you ask me.:mad:

Hello Jacko. Recently in our local rag there was a spate of Chavs going round a lot of the country churches nicking the Chalices and crucifixes, Candlesticks etc. Sacriligeous if you ask me.:mad:

Its awfu,l in our church theyre all locked up in big safes. Although any fool at a scrapyard or pawnbrokers wouldnt accept them would they?

I have just read this back and it sounds like i want to steal everything. the questions are rhetorical and i am just amazed its not locked. And i live 300 miles away as well

Why thank you foxy.. :)

:lol: You're welcome! :mrgreen:

Just looking at the church again and wondered about the niche above the door. Perhaps it had a statue there at one time? I wonder what happened to it and if it was destroyed during the Dissolution. Or maybe it was something else. Do any other churches have these thereabouts? It's interesting, and something else I don't recall seeing before. :)

cool church!there's a little chapel like this in bradwell on sea i don't think it's used for service's but is unlocked & has a visitor's book.i went last summer & it has a real nice feeling about it when you get inside

Back