St Pancras Church, Exeter, Devon - May '09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I took a bus into Exeter yesterday and spent three hours just wandering around the lanes and back streets with my camera. This was my first stop. :mrgreen:

exeterstpancras01.jpg

Incredibly, this lovely tiny church is set in the middle of the Guildhall Shopping Centre. On three sides of the courtyard there are modern shops screened by trees and on the fourth is a row of medieval buildings which are now little shops.

One of the shops with a millstone embedded in the wall.

exeterstmedievalrow01.jpg

And another one with this gorgeous door.

exeterstmedievalrow02.jpg

St Pancras church was first recorded in 1191 and is one of the oldest Christian sites in England with a chancel and nave. It is only 46½ ft by 16 ft and was built of Heavitree Stone, which is a volcanic rock (Heavitree is an area of Exeter, the city being built upon a volcanic plug). The bell turret contains a small bell founded in Mermaid Yard by Robert Newton, who established his bell foundry in 1423, and is inscribed Quamvis sum parva tamen audior ampla per arva, which translates "I may be small, nevertheless I am heard over a wide distance".

No longer used as a church, but it is maintained and left open for people to look around or just sit quietly and meditate. :)

exeterstpancras02.jpg

exeterstpancras03.jpg

exeterstpancras04.jpg

exeterstpancras05.jpg

exeterstpancras06.jpg

exeterstpancras07.jpg

exeterstpancras08.jpg

exeterstpancras09.jpg

More info and history about this beautiful church in the link below. Hope you enjoyed. :)

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_churches/stpancras.php

Lovely shots there Foxy,glad to see you put the good weather to use with an explore..we did some pub exploring in Swindon..my liver is being back-flushed as I type with water!

Fantastic shots Foxy! I like the contrast of the old and new. Could not believe a church was in the middle of a shopping centre.:)

Looks like that end wall has been modified some time in its life.
Yes, there was something about that in the website where I found the history. Can't recall the exact details now though! :lol:
..we did some pub exploring in Swindon..my liver is being back-flushed as I type with water!
:lol::lol: Serves you right, but that's only because I'm jealous! :mrgreen:
Fantastic shots Foxy! I like the contrast of the old and new. Could not believe a church was in the middle of a shopping centre.:)
Chhers, Shucky. :) The funny thing is, I knew about it from back along but had totally forgotten about it. Exeter is crammed full of really ancient churches...on the half-mile walk back to the bus station I passed 6 churches, a priory and the cathedral. There are tiny churches and crumbling remains inbetween the shops in the main centre...it's an amazing place, choc-bloc with history. :mrgreen:

Thanks Swedish. :)
There are quite a few tiny churches in the centre of Exeter, although that one is the smallest. I'm going back there soon as there's loads of stuff to explore and document. I'll post up the more interesting and applicable sites as and when. I've still got something else to post from last weekend, when I've got time to finish scanning the pics. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back