Subtteranea Standedge

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best tunnel report ever? I think so!

Very unique place to say the least, looks like with the right tools (scuba gear anyone? haha) and big enough balls you could get lost down there exploring its bowels.

wow great report and photo's, thanks for the effort and sharing with the rest of us. Good one mate.

just to add my two penarth to this report which is fantastic btw part of the reason for the vortexes of air is that part of the second singlebore tunnels was during the late 60 early 70s sealed up for experimentation on the effects of two trains passing in along tunnel .this was to do with the channel tunnel that was abandoned in 1974 .some of the vents and cross passages were sealed to aid this .also standage was the only long tunnel to have watertroughs inside the tunnells to allow trains to take on water without stopping these were fed by the large watertower at the diggle end of the tunnel this was only possible as standage rail tunnels are dead level throughout something else that is unique to standage for a rail tunnel of any length .if you had carried on along the trackbed for aprox 1/2 a mile you would have come to the shorter butterhouse tunnel on the lifted micklehurst loop this has been sealed at one end with an earth enbankment .

Awesome report Phil,

It's the mutts nuts - reckon you could stay down there all week and still keep finding new stuff.
Photography's great as usual and a mega write up - nice one!

Outstanding Phill. Thats a proper job mate. You should present programs on the History channel and write books :)

Love the description about the piston effect, must be awesome feeling that pressure!

Well done mate!

Really impressive report - liking the detail shots of the tunnels, especially the stone vaulting in the tunnel roof. :)

Some really stunning pictures. I would like to go there some times.

Thanks guys.
I'm doing a more detailed history on this place.
I've a load more pics and history for the set.
I'll add the link to the finished thing when it's all done (sometime next week)
There's the canal tunnel included too :)

3741409997_6bc7c86201_m.jpg

I've recently been back up to the tunnels to finish the story.
There's canal and more railway tunnel pics and history on my full story here
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=265602590&blogId=499903956
It really was an epic explore!

3741409999_93eb9f2af8_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back