Tatsfield Monitoring Station Update 2008 Part 2

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godzilla73

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay on this people - but some , ahem, "administrative" errors meant that I didn't get back on site until quite recently. I took Ethik with me as he wanted to check it out, but the fact that we went at about 8pm meant some of the photography was a bit tricky (had to put my Canon EOS in Manual mode and figure out exposure and apeture values). So we did the outside of the bunker which is on the site and then went down inside it. It is still pretty much intact structurally (unlike the testing hut) and seems to be refreshingly free of graffitti or other vandalism. Couldn't find the Broadcasting House sign that Cybergibbons photographed in his 2005 report, but the chalk board has the date 1964 on it, which seems genuine.The writing on the chalkboard seems to refer to fuel supplies - we wondered if it was something to do with the things that look like diesel tanks on the other side of the road. It seems likely that the monitoring station was still active in some respect until at least 1971, as there are scientific articles which refer to monitoring reports carried out there at that time.

This is the view of the bunker from the outside
TatsfieldPart2001.jpg

TatsfieldPart2002.jpg

TatsfieldPart2023.jpg

Down the steps....!
TatsfieldPart2.jpg

Inside the bunker there are four rooms, a small one as you go in is at the bottom of the steps with three more running the length of the building. The last room of these three has a hatch/door at the end of it about halfway up the wall. The door is intact and when open looks over the testing hut (see previous report). we couldn't get a phot of this because we couldn't work out how to get the camera to copy properly with the odd half light that the opening created and we didn't have an external flash gun. These photos were all taken inside. Thanks to Ethik for coming along and helping to get photos in what was quite an awkward location...Enjoy
TatsfieldPart2021.jpg

TatsfieldPart2016.jpg

TatsfieldPart2010.jpg

TatsfieldPart2011.jpg

TatsfieldPart2009.jpg

TatsfieldPart2012.jpg

TatsfieldPart2013.jpg

TatsfieldPart2022.jpg

For captions and more info visit
http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n353/mechagodzilla73/Tatsfield Part 2/

Cheers
GDZ:)

Nice work on the night shots, i always find night time photography tricky and im never happy with the results, but you got some really nice shots there.

Thank urbtography:) I keep meaning to get a better external flash, but the onboard one on the EOS does okay. Being able to play around with time and aperture values helps, which is why the EOS is the one for me!:lol:

Latest posts

Back