Welsh Presbyterian Church (Dangerous) Liverpool - Oct 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
HISTORY: The Welsh Presbyterian Church on Princes Road is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. Because of its tall steeple the church has been nicknamed the "Welsh Cathedral" or "Toxteth Cathedral" although it was never an actual cathedral. Its been abaondoned for over 30 years. So long that I couldn't find a decent photo of it in it's original state. The church was built between 1865 and 1867 designed by local architects W. & G. Audsley. At the time it was built it was the highest building in Liverpool. In 1982 when it was no longer used as a Welsh Presbyterian Church it was sold to the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, a religious organisation with headquarters in Nigeria. They ceased to use the church in the 1990s, it became vacant, was vandalised, and became derelict. There were plans for the leasehold to be acquired by a partnership of the Merseyside Building Preservation Trust and the Heritage Trust for the North West.

Loads of news articles out there trying to get support or at least sympathy for the place but guess it never worked. In 2019, it received National Lottery Stage 1 funding to become a community hub after thirty years abandonment. There was a huge £2.3m plan to redo the place but it all fell through:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/future-doubt-historic-church-abandoned-23436883
EXPLORE: Access was quite simple in the end, but we both got injured despite being very careful people. This was the most injured ever on dozens of explores and it's just not worth it for what's left inside in my opinion.

There are two building sections. One community sort of area which is connected to the main hall. Most of the top floor has gone as has most of the roof. Things were falling down from the roof while we were there and it was horrible to be all cut up only to then plunge the wounds into piles of pigeon crap that looked like solid floor. My decision to always wear solid footwear saved me from several nails trying to get through the sole. One actually did when my entire weight went through the floor. Luckily, didn't get through the skin.

front.jpg

side.jpg

The only way in we found meant crawling through a lot of wreckage to get to the main halls. Everthing seemed to have been very colourfully painted at one point:

hall.jpg

We couldn't tell if some stuff was graffitti or part of some community-new-trendy-hip look they were going for considering the colour choices:

grafiti.jpg

This was all in the first building section at the back. Main rooms:

backroom.jpg

mural.jpg

other room.jpg

piano.jpg

Then this is all that's left of the main hall. Sadly we could get no other photos than those every one else has probably posted because there's really nothing left:

main1.jpg

main3.jpg

door.jpg

It was a nightmare getting around though and we probably got off lightly considering how bad it could have been. These are the best photos we had. The rest were all wreckage or blurry from falling or slipping whilst trying to take the photo! Like these:

wreck1.jpg

wreck2.jpg

wheel.jpg

I heal quick. But this still took a couple of weeks disappear as the bruising came up later and the wounds had been covered in pigeon crap. Got a bad blood test result back from the GP a few weeks later which I'm still being treated for. God got me back for tresspassing on this one it seems. Although, you'd think he'd have done a better job saving his own house in the first place....

injuries.jpg

These are awesome pics despite the hazard it poses. Nice work.
Hope you all healed from your injuries quickly.

Wow that one really fell into disrepair, always makes me sad to see them get into such a state
Well done on getting in there
We were more happy about getting out. Floor kept giving way and staring at the floor so much meant we kept getting smacked in the head. With pidgeon poo onto everything as well it was not a place we'd ever recommend. Sometimes the photos in reports have made a place look better than it turned out to be. This could be one of those.

Back