The Acid House - January 2016 (image heavy!)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I have known about this place for quite some time but never had the opportunity to go until recently. I first found out about it by accident really. Someone I know mentioned there might something of interest there. I looked into it and I couldn't believe my eyes when I found out what else was here.

Not long before we visited I had messaged Mookster about something completely unrelated and mentioned what I had planned. He asked if it was 'The Acid House' so I searched the forum and found the 2 previous reports, one of which was his. I am glad I found out what it had already been named because this title is much better that what I had in mind!

I have done a bit of reading up on this place. After I was given the heads up about what I though was just one empty building, I did some searching and found out about the rest of the estate. This place is an absolute treasure. We didn't have time to see everything because we arrived a bit later than planned, and although it was a beautiful snowy day we were leaving footprints everywhere so we had to be swift and careful. The first section we came to, one of the workers cottages, had a set footprints leading to it and away again. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed them to be honest. I wasn't sure what to expect when we ventured in. I didn't give those footprints a second thought until afterwards when we were following them to the next part. It was an unsettling thought that there maybe someone about, especially because I'd been waiting for so long to come here, but they continued on well into the distance so that put my mind at ease. We decided it was best just to have a flying visit, as painful as it was to leave such a beautiful location without seeing it all. Plus I forgot to re-attach the quick release plate for my tripod after putting in a new battery, so the vast majority of my pics were in point and shoot mode. I got a few just by balancing the camera on the tripod but it was a very time consuming process. School boy error, so a revisit is happening very soon!

So here we have a large 19th century manor which was most recently home to a chemical company. An extension was built onto the side of the manor post WW2 and it was used for research and manufacturing. 4 workers cottages were also built at the far end of the new industrial space. A second separate unit was built and used for manufacturing, but I am not sure if this was used by an independent business or a sister company. The manor and the 2 units appear to have been individually vacated at different times, possibly many years apart. The manor has been reinforced with scaffolding at the front and round the back, and judging by how it looked it was put in place quite a long time ago. The roof has also been removed and a temporary cover built. The tarpaulin covering that was put up around the building is wind damaged in places leaving a lot of the top floor exposed to the elements, further adding to the decay.

I've had this explore planned out for quite some time and I am so happy to have finally been here. After speaking to Mookster and realising it had been done before then seeing the pictures for the first time not long before we went made it even more exciting. I really wasn't expecting this, I didn't even know if it was still there! We parked up and I led the way along various footpaths and bridleways until we arrived at the edge of the estate. After quietly making our way through the trees we arrived next to the 4 workers cottages. We only went inside one.

We moved on to the separate workshop which was still in use until quite recently and may still be used for storage. A lot of the equipment pictured in Mooksters report has been removed.

We then moved on the manor. What a beautiful building.

I crept into this room by myself and jumped out of my skin when I saw my reflection in this huge mirror - I thought it was someone else!

The flooring was absolutely treacherous in places, and there were a few squeaky bum moments up stairs. Dodgy flooring makes such a haunting sound sometimes. We knew there was much more to see, but after getting held up beforehand and on the way, and faffing about figuring out safe access, we sensibly left after an agreed time before our foot prints could be noticed. None of us were ready to leave, and we sure as hell didn't want to, but we knew it was better to be safe than sorry.

We are going back again in the coming weeks, so I will do a separate report on the extension to the manor that we missed. There was more to the manor too, so that will be included. I decided to post this in misc. because it is residential, industrial, rural etc. I couldn't decide which was right.

I am sad to say that I have found out that this place isn't going to be around much longer so I am going to try to cover it as much as I can before it is too late. A lot more items have been removed, health and safety notices the looked brand new have been put up in some parts, and I found a very new and clean looking hard hat in one room. Not good!

This was one of my favourite explores I have done in years. I hope you enjoy the pictures and I will hopefully have more to share soon when we go back.

Thanks for looking! :)

Thanks for the kind comments! I am going to make it back in the next couple of weeks (better prepared!) and spend as much time as I can there. I can't believe just how untouched this place is!!! Other than the odd broken window in the separate outbuilding, the manor was pristine (besides natural decay) with no graffiti! Been a while since I ventured into somewhere like that!

Some good shots here, I did the exact same thing a while back with a giant mirror that I thought was a doorway, I walked towards it as though to go through the door, and kecked myself when my reflection came round the edge, completly un expected, especialy when a friend says " see what's in there " ( points), hahaha thanks for sharing,

Latest posts

Back