The Defence of Britain Google Earth file

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbkscott

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi all just found this and dont know if will be of use to any of you

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=863080#Post863080

According the site there is some level of in accuracy with the grid location, on this file it lists locations of all pill boxes, gun batteries, anti landing obstacles, Auxiliary Unit bases, Home Gaurd shelters and lots more just check it and have a look

Enjoy guys

sorry prob should have searched first but when i found it, was slightly excited and thought some of you guys might have been too lol

its a good file though and worth the refresh on the thread incase there some peeps that dont have it

was slightly excited and thought some of you guys might have been too lol

Great ain't it. One of the research tools I rely on the most!

If you've got a satnav unit with custom points of interest, you can probably import it too. Some conversion tips for garmin here - a similar process can be applied with most other nav units with import facilities. There are also google earth files listing ROC posts, which you can upload in the same way.

When I'm out and about, I fire up the nav unit once I'm done on my main explore. You can then find all the other stuff in the nearby area, or on your trip home. I think it's probably one of the most useful things I've ever done. I've spent whole days just driving from one pillbox to the next before now :)

I'm glad you like my efforts and are putting it to good use. FYI I've just update the kmz file with about a thousand new sites so I suggest you download the latest one. If on your travels you find any misplaced sites please PM me here or mail me at the address on the download page.

Cheers

Steve

I'm glad you like my efforts and are putting it to good use. FYI I've just update the kmz file with about a thousand new sites so I suggest you download the latest one. If on your travels you find any misplaced sites please PM me here or mail me at the address on the download page.

Cheers

Steve
Steve the results of your efforts are awesome mate the database keeps getting better and better keep up the good work.
Cheers Jon

If on your travels you find any misplaced sites please PM me here or mail me at the address on the download page.

The only really bad one I've come across so far is the Battle HQ at Little Staughton. It's actually about a mile away from where it's marked on the opposite side of the airfield - assuming it's not one of those rare sites with 2 of them. Checked the marked site, which doesn't appear to have anything extant on it. There is definitely one at 52 14' 44.39" N , 0 21' 05.87 W though, which I posted on here.

Still fantastically useful even with the odd error though :)

It just crashes my computer when i try to install it :(

I had issues with Google Earth crashing on start up on my laptop. Have you tried running it in a different display mode? When it installs, it adds a couple of extra options in the Windows program start menu.You should have "Start in DirectX mode" or "Start in OpenGL mode". From memory, I think I had to use OpenGL to stop it crashing.

I had issues with Google Earth crashing on start up on my laptop. Have you tried running it in a different display mode? When it installs, it adds a couple of extra options in the Windows program start menu.You should have "Start in DirectX mode" or "Start in OpenGL mode". From memory, I think I had to use OpenGL to stop it crashing.

Ahh right. Its fine wheni run it normally, but when i try to install this it just bumps the CPU Usage up to 100%.

Its fine wheni run it normally, but when i try to install this it just bumps the CPU Usage up to 100%.

Mine has a habit of doing that too if I try and open the file within Google Earth whilst it's running, even with a fairly high spec laptop and 4gb of RAM. For some reason, it tends to work better if I double click the kmz file and let it launch Google Earth itself.

It's a pretty big file in terms of placemarks. Well over 16,000 so I guess some older machines just can't handle it but with 4gb of RAM you should be fine.

It's been a big help to me in looking them out along the Thames, I have even placed them on Panoramio and they now show up on Google earth.:)

The only really bad one I've come across so far is the Battle HQ at Little Staughton. It's actually about a mile away from where it's marked on the opposite side of the airfield - assuming it's not one of those rare sites with 2 of them. Checked the marked site, which doesn't appear to have anything extant on it. There is definitely one at 52 14' 44.39" N , 0 21' 05.87 W though, which I posted on here.

Still fantastically useful even with the odd error though :)

Thanks for the correction. Looks like an incorrect figure in the original grid ref shifting it to the west. The correction will go in on the next update. It's unusual to find them this far off. They are normally in the right ballpark.

Cheers for that Scott, not had this one before. Good to have them all in one file, nice one! :mrgreen:

Now when i try to open it it comes up, "Error, Out Of Memory"

What does this mean?

Latest posts

Back