The Elms Orphanage, Arbroath

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alir147

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Went here at the end of our mini road trip yesterday with Dazzababes and Commander. Was a great building although the bits we were able to explore were limited as you'll see in a minute.

It was built some time in the 1850's as someone's mansion house before eventually becoming a hotel and then finally an orphanage before closing 17 years a go. There doesn't seem to be too much in the way of vandalism, just wads of dry rot everywhere!

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-1.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHDAZZ.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-3.jpg

Looking down towards the front door in 2001...
TheElms.jpg

and now....
THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-13.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-10.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-12.jpg

peely wallpaper
THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-11.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-14.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-7.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-16.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-17.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-6.jpg

THEELMSTAYMOUTHANDTRAVEBANKWITHD-5.jpg

What a great looking building! Shame it's going downhill though! Like the pics-specially the 2nd one! :)

Cool, Looks a mint building there! Would love to find something like this where i live to explore, seems to be quite a bit to see.

Wow, what a beautiful old building. Liking all the architectural details! :mrgreen:
Did ya get close-ups of the stained glass window over the front door in pic 4?

Lb:jimlad:

Top find Ali et al!

Shame about the floor, at least you know it's got some sort of basement to look in :mrgreen: Going by that, reckon its got a long lifespan?

Excellent work! I read on BaR that the interior was stripped out, shows how reliable that resource is.:rolleyes:
Did you notice the comical graffiti dotted around the outside?
P2250055Small.jpg

P2250051Small.jpg

Excellent work! I read on BaR that the interior was stripped out, shows how reliable that resource is.:rolleyes:
Did you notice the comical graffiti dotted around the outside?

ayee! :mrgreen: but we still braved it and went in! Maybe BaR meant it had been stripped of furniture and 'stuff'?

Lifespan... ohh.. about a year. A lot of it is in a nasty state. At the entry point, you have 2 metres of floor before having to cross a void. I am just over 6 ft and had to strectch my legs to get over it. Commander who's taller than me, struggled at that bit.

As for getting a close up of the stained glass above the door... :lol: I value my life more than the photos! :p

Amazing fairytale-like architecture. That entrance was gorgeous...such a shame it's been left to rot. I love the little carved angel on the moulding. So many nice details. Very nice find. :)

Thanks guys.

Mr Spacepunk... be careful. After you get in, you have a massive void to cross, 2 / 3 of us are over 6 foot and found it a struggle just to get to the dodgey part of the other side. There's a lot of rot and one surprise drop behind a door so take care. unfortunately, this building has a basement which means that even if you are on the ground floor, you fall 15ft in to a collapsed basement (rife with asbestos) which you can't get out of.

Sorry to sound like yer mither, but hopefully this info will come in useful.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a nice building.

WOW! Ditto what Mr Sam said - loved the photos - thankyou! The gorse on our farm is flowering too... Down Under! Ciao!

Cheers for the advice Alir147. I will be with Smellycat( who should really be called ScaredyCat), so will be extra careful.

I agree with Foxylady, good find! They sure dont make em like that anymore. I might take a trip up there myself!

The way in is, as Alir147 warned, well dodgy.
My pictures are very similiar to Alirs, so will maybe post them later.
Everything is covered in Guano and I felt a bit sick afterwards.

Latest posts

Back