The Ghosts of the Leeds tram cars

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, what an excellent write up, and excellent pics of then and now. Loved reading all this, you've put a hell of a lot of work in.

Just bought a book about the old tramways in Chesterfield, so will now have to have a search around there and try and see if there's anything left of that one too.

Excellent work mister, loved this.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Excellent!

Never really had any interest in trams, but your post was informative and nicely written and I found it fascinating.

Had me glued to my monitor for ages (when I should really have been working!)

Thanks for posting, you put a lot of time and effort in to that.

Yeah, good write up Phil.d, I enjoyed that. Always had a soft spot for trams, me, I'll never for the life of me understand why we scrapped them. Madness, total madness. Am I right in thinking Leeds is now the biggest city in the UK without any light rail? Even Birmingham has some!

Brings back memories of the Mumbles train (somwehat similar to these)

Oh very many happy memories of the Mumbles train

Mumbles-4.jpg

But that's another story (this image from here)

Derek

Great read!

There is one depot still about i think, situated just by the armley gyratory, now a van hire place.

The sub-station on Kirkstall road is now one of my mates businesses, they have only just moved here, it was earmarked for change of use into apartments, but given the current climate they cancelled, and my mate took it on for his metalworking business.

That was fascinating. I always loved the Yorkshire Relish tram when I visited Crich. It is wonderful to be given such a wealth of background information.

Excellent and detailed as ever Phill.d - Great read

- I must say Leeds will forever been known as the city who could of had it all but was never bold enough - same goes for these days too :( Love living here but man it so pisses me off how the council are SOOOOOOOO short sighted in just about everything they do!

a really great report well done, your love of trams really shows,pity there is nothing like that left here in plymouth all we have is the plymouth corporation tramway main depot building left and it is still home to the ciys public transport busses ,apart from that everything was destroyed by the blitz or the city council .As for being cold and draughty ,ever been on a plymouth city bus ?:):lol:

Great write up Phill! I swear you missed your vocation as a history reporter! A newspaper should sign you up! :mrgreen:

Amazing

This is without doubt one of thee most informative reports I have seen ever..brilliant "then and now" concept that works effortlessly.Many thanxx Phil.

Stu

That 1945 tram map has answered some questions for me - I always wondered why North Parkway is a dual carriageway but then comes to an end so strangely. Makes sense now!

Another well researched Report Phill :)

Especially like the attention to detail given to the tramway remnants.

Thanks for your efforts -got something of a soft spot for Trams :)

Only just found this report. Thank you for making a dull Sunday afternoon more interesting. A really great, informative report - loved it. Thank you.

Trams of Today

I should imagine Tramway Systems of today (manchester ect) are built with the know how of the vast expertise of Past engineers . Many lessons learnt on the Building a safe reliable Tramway . The move to Green Transport means more Tramways may thrive .

Back