The Molendinar Burn Downstream - Glasgow - Nov. 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCooper

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
After my previous explore of Glasgow's Molendinar Burn, I had to go back to cover the downstream section, which runs from Duke Street down to the Clyde.

The downstream tunnel entrance:

First there's beautiful stone, quite high:

Then stone walls and a brick roof:

Then circular brick, with some neat side drains:

Then lower and oval, with some steeper sections:

It then opens up a bit:

Before getting quite a bit lower:

Going under a large pipe:

A couple more side drains - theses don't drain into the burn, they end up somewhere underneath it:

Then a whole series of beautiful brick arches:

Then it gets very, very low and goes under the underground rail line from Central Station - I was half way through when a train went overhead:

Then a long, long backbreaking stretch:

Then a junction, where another burn joins - I haven't been able to find the name of this burn, but it follows the route of Greendyke Street:

Carrying on a bit further, the burn drops into a smaller pipe, and the way is impassable - this must be almost at the Clyde:

Going back upstream to where Greendyke joins the burn, there's a wall and pillar:

Going up Greendyke this time, the way is a lot more pleasant than the burn - much higher:

Some nice changes of construction:

A bit of modern concrete and brick:

Back to brick, and some nice reassuring reinforcement:

Some more beautiful side drains:

Then good old steel pipe, the same as upstream on the Molindenar Burn:

A newer, more open section:

And at this point, I stopped to turn back, as it was getting late:

Stopping only to photograph some subterranean mushrooms:

At a guess, I travelled about a mile and a half under Glasgow - and back again, of course! The Greendyke was still perfectly accessible when I abandoned my stroll, so who knows how far that goes. As usual, my Flickr set has lots more images...

Thanks :) With the aid of some council maps, I've been working out where I was - it was a trip of about 3 miles!

Latest posts

Back