The Radical Club, Attercliffe, Sheffield May 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Not too much history on this place. Located on Effingham Road in Attercliffe, Sheffield, The Radical Club or "The Rads" as it was affectionately known to the locals, first opened in the 1920s. Back then it was known as Attercliffe Non-Political Club. However, in the early 1960s, the club relocated to the current building and changed its name to The Radical Club. The club was a popular meet-up for two decades, before it closed its doors in the 1980s. Entertainment included the usual club turns including piano nights, discos, the obligatory bingo, and the occasional drag act. Now the building sits forlorn and abandoned, the main hall roof stripped of all its roof slates.

2. The Explore
So this was our Plan B. Plan A went swiftly out of the window as it had been sealed up tight after it had been tour-bused over FB/GoonTube. Predictable, I guess. Initially I wasn’t going to be bothered with this place as it looked well derpy. But then changed my mind and decided to have a look. It’s well past its sell-by date and far gone but there are a few things to hold your interest briefly.

Equally, I wasn’t going to bother reporting it either, but the pics came out OK plus there’s only one brief report from 2014 (see HERE), so thought I’d post it for the sake of documenting it. Plus there are a few half-decent pieces of old graffiti too.

3. The Pictures

Quick external:

Round the side past this slightly defaced bit of Coloquix:

And we’re in:

The main hall is like a greenhouse:

Rotary Attercliffe 02 by HughieDW, on Flickr

At the stage end there is this very early piece by Sheffield’s famous graff artist Phlegm:

In the side door:

There’s the toilet with the red seat:

And some more graff:

And back out again:

Not sure who this artist is:

Then on to an adjoining room:

And that wallpaper:

More graff:

Amongst the decay:

At least the handrail is still there:

Here’s the “Book of Mormon”:

Whatever happened to Khans International Enterprise Ltd?

This flatbed truck was a bit of a surprise:

On to the final room:

And the best bit. This cute little mirror-tiled bar:

And more toilets:

And a quick look back:

That’s all folks!

Latest posts

Back