The River Tyburn, London, Downstream Section

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastOfDesolation

Reaction score
The River Tyburn is one of Londons famous "Lost Rivers". I believe that this section is correctly called "Kings Scholars Pond Sewer". It's the furthest South on the Tyburn you can easily go.

This section holds a special place in my memory; it was the location of our first foray into the world of draining. I remember donning wellys, with make-shift extensions made from binliner and duct tape, lifting the manhole cover, being hit with the distinct smell of a London CSO and descending into the blackness. Once underground, we were amazed. We walked downstream only to find a large iron flap which we couldn't move. We retreated and called it a night there. I don't recall any of us taking any photographs down there, and so, now knowing much more about drain lighting, a fellow Drainer and I took a little trip a few nights ago, down into the Tyburn once more, to photograph the section we initially walked down...

"Looking down the end chamber from where we enter the drain"

The end chamber here is relatively dry. Sure, you sink about an inch into "mud" but it's not actually wet. Turning through 180°, you can see why. The main flow is diverted down a smaller tunnel (around 4 foot). If I had a wider lens (memo: Invest in SLR and lenses) then you could see the porthole properly. As it is, you will just have to make do with the gentle curve. Just to the left of my mate, you can see the stairs leading up to our manhole.

"Looking upstream from the previous shot"

Moving further upstream, the tunnel continues. I'm not going to lie, I'm milking this a little by this stage...

"Looking down the tunnel"

Moving further up, the tunnel briefly changes shape. I can only assume that it does so for reinforcement...

"Looking upstream at the change in tunnel shape"

That's about as interesting as this section gets. It's quite a dull drain really. That said, it is rather large!

Thank's for reading! (click images for enlargement)

Tyburn! is that not where they used to hang a lot of people,particularly for going down drains; nope it was up drainpipes they went to meet Jack Ketch.
Nice work! never really been underground myself,all a bit claustrophobic for me,though a few years back; anybody who mentioned a cliff would find me half way up it before the words had left the mouths.Which was odd as we would meet potholers in pubs at night and terrify each other with our days adventures.:)

Wow I absolutely love it. They are hoooge! :mrgreen:

Must have been ace going back armed with the extra knowledge and a decent torch. You've lit the tunnels well for such a huge space.

Cheers Urban Ex. If you look on my blog, there is a report from the river Fleet too. Take a look at that. Other than that, I've not really taken many pictures in my draining travels. The experience is a lot of fun... too much to worry about pictures, often.

Latest posts

Back