Thorntons Chocolte Factory - Belper

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james.s

Reaction score
Thorntons bought Castle Factory, near Belper, in Derbyshire, an old mill which had been used by Rolls Royce to store aircraft engines during the war, and before that had been a music-hall, and in 1947 began to manufacture boiled sweets there.

Former Thorntons Factory at Belper
This is the former Thorntons chocolates factory in Belper. The business was relocated to new premises at Alfreton in 1999 although the name is still closely associated with its original home in Belper where it provided employment for many local people.

I visited this factory with LIO112, it is largely stripped, as much of the epuipment went to Alfreton when the factory moved, there is still plenty to see however, but you will probably struggle to see it, as access is a little challenging ;)
It is very decayed inside, with the older former Rolls-Royce parts being particularly hazardous, wth rotten floors, I even fell through one of them, but was unharmed, fortunately. It did actually smell of chcoloate, a sort of musty rum-truffle smell for those who are curious.
Here are the pictures:

The Modern Part
img7070.jpg

Former Rolls-Royce Part
img7072.jpg

Typical Modern Factory Floor
img7078.jpg

Typical Older Room
img7079.jpg

Goods Lift
img7081.jpg

Roller Table
img7086.jpg

Unopened Christmas Mail
img7088.jpg

Decaying Main Stairs
img7099.jpg

Heating
img7100.jpg

Personal Belongings Still In Locker Room
img7105.jpg

Hygiene Is Paramount
img7115.jpg

Power Management
img7132.jpg

Ventilation
img7133.jpg

On The Rooftop
img7075.jpg

Thanks For Looking :)

Last edited:
No chocoriver?

No juicing room?

Not even an everlasting gobstopper?

Gaa :mrgreen:

nice work James :)

It did actually smell of chcoloate, a sort of musty rum-truffle smell for those who are curious.

I can never touch another rum truffle after smelling that smell there. Makes me feel sick just thinking of it :sick:

The unopened Christmas mail is actually entries to win a competition (for a car or holiday.... or something). So if you entered a competition around the time the factory closed you probably weren't included in the prize draw.

I can imagine the chocolate would be like the beer in a disused pub I once visited :sick:

The smell in there really was bad, and I think I may have discovered CHEWY's chocolate river upon puting my foot (and one and a half legs) through a rotten floor, for below, there was chocolate in all states of decay! It truly was a magical place :mrgreen:

No chocoriver?

No juicing room?

Not even an everlasting gobstopper?

Gaa :mrgreen:

nice work James :)

More importantly where are the umpa-lumpas, any signs of life or graves or did they move them to the new site at Alfreton? Any way great looking photo's and report, cheers.

The obselete Umpa-Lumpas seemed to have been hastily interned in the service tunnels, but most were moved to the new site at Alfreton in standard wooden packing crates :)

Like Sal, I love the older part with the wooden floors and especially the red brick.
Nice explore altogether though, James. :)
Arghhh!!! I seem to have the Umpa Lumpa song on my brain now! :mad::lol:

Latest posts

Back