Tollgate House

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krela

Reaction score
Some photos in the gallery, more will be posted later.

At 19 floors high Tollgate House is currently Bristol's second tallest tower block, situated at the end of the M32 arterial motorway and inner city ring-road between the inner city areas of St Pauls and Easton. The building is on stilts and each concrete window frame was individually moulded to create a pattern radiating from the ground across the facade.

Until 2001 the tower was occupied by various government offices, including the planing inspectorate and regional offices of the environment and highways agencies, the government department responsible for maintanance of England's main roads. These offices have since moved to lower, more environmentally friendly and modern buildings on Temple Quay, half a mile east.

Tollgate House has been empty since, and in January 2005 vandals had smashed some of the lower windows and ripped out anything removable from the ground level, at which point the first floor walls were removed entirely and the first 2 or 3 floors above that were securely breezeblocked up. The tower and the adjacent Tollgate Car Park are condemned and are both due for demolition in the very near future. The site will be redeveloped as part of a regeneration scheme which will expand the city centre shopping and commercial district.

Discussion thread here

View from Tollgate House

Hi,

Is there any chance I could get hold of some of the photo's of the View from Tollgate House? I am very intereseted in any photos of the inside of the building as well.

Many thanks

Suggins.

Just interested to know what the view was like from up there and no chance to see for myself any more.

Latest posts

Back