Treligga (HMS Vulture 2) Pic Heavy

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Treligga is located on the North Cornwall coast and was primarily an aerial bombing and gunnery range. Treligga was officially named HMS Vulture 2 being that it was a satellite of HMS Vulture located at St Merryn Airfield. Pre-war, Treligga was a gliding site, it was then selected by the Fleet Air Arm in 1939 to become an air to ground and air to sea firing range.

Due to a lack of suitable emergency landing grounds in the area, Treligga was also used as a wheels up landing strip. Three grass landing strips were designated each being 650 metres long.

Several buildings were constructed on the site, one of which was a control/observation tower that was some 10 metres in height. A heavily reinforced concrete observation bunker was constructed near to the coastline. This housed quadrant equipment that recorded the angle of dives and accuracy of attacks made by aircraft. Both of these structures remain along with accommodation blocks.

In its early life, the base was run entirely by WRENS. Squadrons using the range included Fighter Pool 748 and School Of Air Combat 736 Squadron. Frequently seen aircraft were Seafires, Masters, Fireflies and Barracuda’s. One aircraft to use the landing ground was a USAAF B17 that was in trouble and needed to get to ground quickly. The crew were surprised and I suspect somewhat pleased to find the base being run by WRENS. The B17 eventually left the base by being stripped down and successfully taking off over the sea.

As the war in Europe started to come to an end, Treligga was altered so to resemble Japanese held territory. Real and dummy tanks, a bridge and road convoy were put in place on the range. A railway was also constructed to provide moving targets. From December 1944 Treligga was being used to train Squadron Commanders and Senior Pilots of units destined to serve in the Pacific Fleet.

After the war Treligga continued in use as a range with aircraft such as Fairy Gannets and Avro Shackletons making use of the facilities. The range finally closed in 1955 and has now returned to farm land. The shots in this report were taken in June 2010.

Control - Observation Tower - until recently derelict but now being refurbed
DSC_9864.jpg

Reinforced Observation Hut
DSC_9870.jpg

Motor transport garage
DSC_9961.jpg

External view of accommodation blocks
DSC_0050.jpg

Window detail of accommodation block
DSC_0055.jpg

Boiler house - with a rather sad Volvo outside
DSC_0034.jpg

Domestic hot water boiler - and yes that is asbestos lagging so if you go here, take precautions
DSC_0030.jpg

Central heating boiler, again lagged with asbestos
DSC_0028.jpg

Domestic hot water boiler serving another block
DSC_9973.jpg

Dormitory block with many original features in place
DSC_9987.jpg

Toilet and bath block
DSC_9964.jpg

A bit faded but you can still just make out the words - You can tell this was a naval station -
the rooms are called Cabins
DSC_9991.jpg

Officers accommodation
DSC_9992.jpg

Officers accommodation
DSC_9998.jpg

Officers bathroom
DSC_9993.jpg

Vintage bath taps
DSC_9994.jpg

Cast iron basin supports
DSC_9982.jpg

Cast iron toilet cistern
DSC_9981.jpg

Original light fitting
DSC_9967.jpg

Cast iron radiator
DSC_9978.jpg

Round pin plug socket
DSC_9990.jpg

Electrical distribution board by Simplex
DSC_9995.jpg

Original light switches
DSC_0024.jpg

Room that housed telephone exchange equipment
DSC_0015.jpg

Kitchen area - note the serving hatch door
DSC_0012.jpg

Notice board in the dining area
DSC_0010.jpg

Wash room
DSC_0003.jpg

Urinal
DSC_0005.jpg

Air raid shelter entrance
DSC_0043.jpg

Internal view of air raid shelter
DSC_0036.jpg

Stripped out bath and toilet
DSC_0007.jpg

Further external view of accommodation blocks
DSC_0042.jpg

General view across range and landing ground - control tower visible to the left
DSC_9877.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Cracking report HydeAlfred,some real gems left behind,particularly what looks like a coloured pan in the left cubicle..they fetch quite a price.I still use a high level cistern exactly like the one you saw..it works really well if you know what I mean!!

Cracking report HydeAlfred,some real gems left behind,particularly what looks like a coloured pan in the left cubicle..they fetch quite a price.I still use a high level cistern exactly like the one you saw..it works really well if you know what I mean!!

:lol: That made me LOL - I think I do know what you mean :exclaim:

Back