Uknown building nr Gainsborough

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some text from the link above 'Possibly a bombing training building at RAF Kelstern

What's confusing me is that is says RAF Kelstern?

The buildings are one and the same - I have no idea why Kelstern and bombing training should be attributed to the photograph. The 'room' constructed on the roof clearly held machinery that required ventilation, there are two bay louvre vent 'windows' at each end - there are slats still visible in some of the available photographs. I must agree with Ricasso that the lack of a pit is somewhat of a puzzle, if the building was originally for MT maintenance. 'Bombing training' is another strange term, if it means initial training of bomb aimers, why have a vehicle sized entrance door and all those windows? One could understand if training in 'arming' of bombs was meant, the large door would be for the bomb trailers - The snag with that scenario would be the positioning of 'live' munitions within the technical site. If inert bombs were to be used for training - why the need for such a sophisticated building?

Looking at it on google earth it looks like part of a larger building, it looks like it was built on at the back, presumably this is where the access to the upper storey would have been.
I would agree with DS about the machinery,although looking at the thickness of the main roof I dont suppose it would have been too heavy.

apparently Sturgate was equipped with F.I.D.O , maybe it had something to do with that

Last edited:
And there was me making an apology for just posting a shell of a building up. Chuffded you are taking such an interest.

No doubt in my mind about the buildings being the same. I'll put another couple of pics up in a bit, see if they shed any more light on this. I thought these pics sucked so didnnt put them on originally.

rear shot

IMG_0845.png

side shot

IMG_0846.png

defo Sturgate, not the other place mentioned.

IMG_0848.png

Last edited:
... it looks like it was built on at the back, presumably this is where the access to the upper storey would have been.

I wondered if it had additions to the building at one time. In the 3rd pic of the 3rd set of KO's photos, you can see where there are 4 sets of outlines in the bottom left of the back of the building. I can't think what that indicates, though! :confused::mrgreen:

Dont apologise for the original posting KO! its good to see a thread that promotes good dialogue,instead of folk moaning and bitchin' at each other ;).
Ive never been to this airfield but I would bet that out of all the buildings there this would have been the one to photograph!!!
well done mate.

Dont apologise for the original posting KO! its good to see a thread that promotes good dialogue,instead of folk moaning and bitchin' at each other ;).
Ive never been to this airfield but I would bet that out of all the buildings there this would have been the one to photograph!!!
well done mate.

Thank you! :mrgreen:

I just wish now I had my cam with me that day, I could have taken some stills off the video.

Latest posts

Back