Varosha, Famagusta, Northern Cyprus - June 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SARAH79

Reaction score
I have been a member of this website for sometime now and this is my first report. Whilst on holiday in Cyprus I took a Red Bus tour to Varosha, which was a famous holiday resort for the rich and famous. For more information follow this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosha_(Famagusta). However it is still possible to walk along the beach and I was able to see the devastation to the hotels of this previously elite resort.

IMG_1960.jpg

Derelict hotels viewed from the beach.

IMG_1962.jpg

Two more derelict hotels viewed from the beach.

IMG_1964.jpg

The Constantia Hotel showing its Turkish bomb damage.

IMG_1965.jpg

Another view of the Constantia Hotel.

IMG_1974.jpg

The "green line" which encloses the UN "buffer zone".

IMG_1958.jpg

This hotel was yet to be opened in 1974. At the time it was owned jointly by Cyprus Airways, British European Airways and Trusthouse Forte Hotels. It is still patrolled daily by security guards as the owners still believe they will be able to reopen the hotel one day.

Last edited:
i was in protaras this time last week, only just down the road from this, shame it was a family holiday, i was so looking to get a day away and pop over to famagusta for a good explore

so much to see in the zone, could do with a week in there lol :)

I took my pictures from the pier at the end of the beach with a long-range lens. I did check before taking the pictures and I was told by a tour guide that it was permitted to take pictures from beach.

It would have turned into one of those shit concentration camp complexes like in Benidorm, full of Brits who don't understand the concept of "getting away from it all".

Fantastic photos, this has always beena fave of mine

It would have turned into one of those shit concentration camp complexes like in Benidorm, full of Brits who don't understand the concept of "getting away from it all".

Fantastic photos, this has always beena fave of mine

Sadly I agree with you!!

Nice one, welcome to the forum BTW!
I'm not sure of the state of much of the city as I believe there's been a lot of looting. Same as another abandonned city I know :)p) where the military just gets backhanders to turn a blind eye.
I have seen a pic of a car showroom in Varosha though with all the cars still in mint condition!

Nice one, welcome to the forum BTW!
I'm not sure of the state of much of the city as I believe there's been a lot of looting. Same as another abandonned city I know :)p) where the military just gets backhanders to turn a blind eye.
I have seen a pic of a car showroom in Varosha though with all the cars still in mint condition!

They're a bit rotten....

Yeah when I found the pictures again they were in worse condition than I gave them credit for!
(Not my pics)
Hostage18A.jpg

Hostage19A.jpg

The pictures of the cars are amazing!! I heard on the tour that somewhere in the city there is also a Ford dealership with 1974 Mk3 Cortinas still in the window.

Damn good report Sarah..I was hoping a certain mod from here was gonna go see this but he was stuck in the bar on his hols!!Would love to see some shots of the Cortinas.

I've seen that Toyota dealers before somewhere. It's interesting that no-ones tried to remove them.

It is a shame that the area is so well patrolled as unfortunately I did not want to get shot by the Turkish army for entering the area. If they ever allow visitors actually into the city (like they do in Chernobyl now) I will be there for sure.

The cars are no longer there and most things have been stripped, I have seen a few pictures here and there of locals who have got in, some filmed it too.

Latest posts

Back