Whitefield Mansion, Cambridgeshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture097.jpg

We think a Merc, a BMW, and an unknown make, also caught in the blaze

Thought I might contribute to this thread, my first post so be gentle!

I'm a car geek to reckon the top car is a 1980 Toyota Corolla:
800px-Toyota_Corolla_E70_4_door_sed.jpg

The second car is a 1983 Honda Prelude:
800px-2nd_Honda_Prelude_2.0Si.jpg

The bottom car is a late 80s Volvo 340:
800px-Volvo340.jpg

GREAT site BTW, never done an explore but always nosing around anything that looks to be derelict!

Hi,

Obviously I'm new to these forums. Would love to explore some buildings around the Cambridge area. However, I am struggling to find any information as to the location of this place.

I know that because I'm new here people probably won't give away any information, but if someone would like to send me a private message as to the location that would be great :)

I've just got a new DSLR and am very interested in old buildings etc. Its been a while since I did any photography properly.

I remember I got some great shots a long time ago by the railway in Cambridge where the old Cattle Market used to be (now the new Cineworld Complex)..... Will have to see if I can dig the negatives up.

Thanks,

Dubs

Whitefield

Dear All,

I have recently acquired a series of watercolours by Frederic William Green, a noted Cambridge Egyptologist and keeper of antiquities at the Fitzwilliam Museum (1869-1949). There are a few of his paintings that are inscribed 'Whitefield' or 'from Whitefield'. I found this site while researching this locality, based on the posts and discussion everything seems to point in the direction that indeed Green's Whitefield is Whitefield Mansion. Incidentally aside Shaw, the photo shows Howard Carter (of Tutankhamun fame, left) and Sir Leonard Woolley (excavaror of Ur in Mesopotamia, right), both among the two most significant British archaeologists, it would seem Green would have fitted perfectly into such circles.

I would like to seek confirmation while not crossing forum boundaries - i have no interest in the place itself, it is the painting locations I'm trying to confirm. I hope some of you will be able to answer the questions below (simple yes/no will do), which would hopefully confirm my hunch:

On one of the paintings there is a view of the oldest golf link near Cambridge (named after some biblical giants), inscribed as 'from Whitefield'. Would such a view be possible ?

Another painting shows a reservoir, whose name is illegible (possibly starting with Ch..), also inscribed 'from Whitefield' - is there any larger body of water near the perimeter of the property ?

There are two other landscapes that simply say 'Whitefield' and appear to show a well tended park or garden.

Would much appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Andras

Budapest, Hungary

Last edited:
Andreas.
Wow, thank you for the information, facinating.
You are in the right place. The Golf course is visible from the site.
The resevoior is about 1.5m away, and does indeed begin with "Ch" but isn't visible (I don't think) from the site, but is close by.
Hope this helps.

In addition...

Unfortunately I have just found outline planning permission has been granted to develop the site.

This isn’t the first application by far, initially they asked for a 22 bed hotel, and was granted. They applied again and again, increasing the number of rooms to test the councils threshold. Eventually they’re application for a 119 room hotel was refused, leaving the largest successful application at 99 rooms.

I have been through all of the drawings for the full planning application, and am frankly appalled at how out-of-scale the proposal actually is.

They propose to completely raze the site, including all houses, pill boxes etc. to build a 99 bedroom luxury hotel.
It’s massive. 17,500m2 . 6 Storeys, 18m high facades.

Trees will be cleared to make way for 119 parking spaces, for up to 200 guests, and 220 Staff.

Decision on the full application is ‘pending’ and is due imminently.

UrbanX,
Wonderful, many thanks! Would you be able to pm me with the name of the reservoir ? I've been trying to figure it out on Google, but no luck so far.

Once I complete the catalog of the paintings, will post a couple of images made in the garden in the nineteen thirties.

Thanks again, all the best to all
Andras

www.fjexpeditions.com

Andreas
You do not have PM privalidges yet, so have mailed you via the address on your website.
The story unfolds!

Latest posts

Back