Why people decided to start urbexing

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S is it ok to use some of the statments in my work, minius the author took keep enevery ones identity hidden!!!

There are various acceptable ways of acknowledging third party input to writings for publication, course work etc. In technical publications it is usual to place all sources and references at the end of the book or report. However, for what you are doing I prefer to see a short preamble attached to the main work - a simple sentence will do, i.e..

I would like to thank the members of -------- (in this case Derelict Places .co.uk) who have allowed me to quote their answers to my initial enquiry.

Where you actually quote replies, those words should be in quotation marks. I cannot see any reason why any member should object to this; after all they replied to a specific question, with specific reasoning behind it.

I base the above comments on having actually acted as an adjudicator - it also shows that you, as author, have actually put some thought and planning into your work.

Without wishing to sound rude, the subject of how to format quotations in academic referencing is outside the realm of this forum, and is way more complicated than a 3 paragraph post. Not to mention that your advice is quite wrong, the vast majority of universities use a very specific form of referencing called the Harvard referencing system, and have done for a very very long time. I don't know what you've adjudicated but it doesn't appear to be undergraduate level work!

To answer the original question it's two things for me. One is that I'm nosey and like to know and understand the history and context of the environment around me, the other is that I like the aesthetics of decay. I'm only really interested in my local environment and specific subjects though, which is why I rarely do much these days - urbex tour bus sites don't interest me as they hold no relevance to my interests.

Last edited:
I have always had a fascination with derelict buildings and as soon as I had the opportunity to explore my first location I was hooked on it. Hospitals and bunkers are at the top of the list of interest for me based purely on the fact of seeing things the general public never get to see.

Im abit of a newborn to the urbex world so i can only comment on why the interest personally for me now that i have discovered it.

1. Peacefulness, abandoned places are usually peaceful and you just cant beat that.
2. I think its really sad that amazing buildings, there history and everything that they once were will eventually be gone. I did History at uni so thats a big thing for me.
3. Im too nosey for my own good.
4. They might be wrecked but they sure are beautiful!
5. Also id really love to win the lottery and restore something someday.

Latest posts

Back