Wistow Colliery, Wistow, N.Yorkshire - April 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegasus2

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first report to Derelict places, I wasent aware of this site untill 28dl closed and some of you may know me from there.

Anyway this visit was planed in the evening because we coudent wait untill the next day.

Visited with computerised_guru.

Wistow is just one of 5 collierys in the Selby complex set up to mine the vast amounts of coal beneth it. Unfortunatly when UK coal took over, they decided to walk away from the harder to reach coal and left millions of tons of it. The complex involved 10 shafts and 124 miles of mines, it closed in 2004.

DSC01531.png

DSC01532.png

DSC01533.png

The fire alarm was constantly beeping, with the fire detection lights it up. What was more disturbing was the 'Gas Released' :eek: LED.
DSC01535.png

DSC01536.png

DSC01539.png

DSC01541.png

The place is big and spooky, lights have been left on in some of the offices and the place is covered in CCTV with huge IR emitters either side. One of these was hanging down and there was no camera inside the housing.
Some of the doors were welded shut and the're were signs of failed forced entry.

After about an hour there it was getting dark making photos harder, we legged it when a security van showed up, we should have been seen but he drove off. Later we heard swearing chav like voices coming from the other side of the site, so we decided to leave pronto.

This wasent to be as when we got within sight of the car it was surrounded by 5 :eek: yes FIVE police cars as well as a T5. They were shining lights in the windows and everything. We wernt sure whether the security van reported us or the cops just thaught the car looked dodgy being parked in the middle on nowhere. We should have parked a lot further away than we did tbh.

Here is a quick sneaky pic as they drove off after a 15 minute who are you, what you doing where have you been and a telling off. I looked completely dodgy as I was blacked out lol.

Picture_019.png

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
British Coal closed operations, because their customers would not pay an economic price for the deep mined 'reserves'. Nobody in their right mind would by UK coal, when they could get foreign coal delivered to their bunkers for 50% less.

The 'Gas Released' LED refers to the Halon Gas used to protect the machinery spaces and switch gear cabinets/rooms from fire. The gas is an asphyxiant, thus plant operators need an indication when the bottles discharge into the confined space, under fire alarm conditions.

The plod turnout was standard, you were detected on site!

Back