Woodmuir Colliery, March 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maden_2

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited here solo by myself, seems to be work ongoing as a conveyor has mysteriously vanished.

Cant seem to find much info on it, so on with the pics

Woodmuir1.jpg

DSCF7318.jpg

DSCF7323.jpg

DSCF7302.jpg

DSCF7297.jpg

DSCF7280.jpg

DSCF7271.jpg

DSCF7246.jpg

DSCF7237.jpg

DSCF7230.jpg

That first picture is lovely. I must read up and find out about this place. Looks like the winderhouse in the last pic.

I like. :) Although it is obviously in a very ruinous state I still find things like this fascinating. I love wandering round stuff like this, finding all sorts just sticking out the ground.

Yeah, this place has been left for years.

As you approach it there is a sign saying its up for renovation and restoration, but the contact number on it is so old its 041, instead of 0141 with the 1 that was inserted years ago, so I'm guessing the restoration project fell by the wayside long ago!

As maden_2 says there used to be a conveyor that has been removed since Sonorg and i visited this about 9 months back, and also there was a portacabin that was sat at the very left of picture 3 is now gone also.

~Shepy

Looks like the winderhouse in the last pic.

Yes, I was somewhat relieved to see that as at first I thought it was the building that had been bashed in by the fallen beams (did they support the headstock?). Cracking photos and looks like a really nice explore to wander around. :)

Foxylady: The building you see in the last picture is most likely the housing for the winding gear, though this is not usually directly attached / part of the head stock other than the cable for the lift.

In the last picture of the set above, the centre most window was probably not a window but rather an entrance for the cables to run to the winding motor from the gantry / wheel / headstock that would have been situated outside and away from the building.

To give an example, it is most likely the same as the building on the right edge of frame in this shot:

istockphoto_851390_welsh_coal_mine_pit_head.jpg

~Shepy

Foxylady: The building you see in the last picture is most likely the housing for the winding gear, though this is not usually directly attached / part of the head stock other than the cable for the lift.

Um...yeah, that's what I said! :lol:
Perhaps I worded it wrong but I thought it was the bashed one until I saw the last one, when I realised it was that. They did look similar.
Good to see a pic of the headstocks still up. I thought the headstock had come down in the pic with the beams...it looks like the wheel on the right side of the pic. :)

Thats what I thought Foxy Lady.

It makes for an interesting half hour wander. In amongst the dirt, are carts etc just lieing rotting away.

Latest posts

Back