WW11 Oil Depot, Ripple , river Severn

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a T24 from the back, but if the next 2 photos are from the inside that's not a normal pillbox interior.

It looks like a T24 from the back, but if the next 2 photos are from the inside that's not a normal pillbox interior.

We were talking about this as it seemed a real puzzle, and when ricasso checked the DoB it was labelled as a 'square pillbox'. :lol: I was wondering if it was one of those situations when the builder chucked away the instructions and just used whatever materials and skills were available at the time! :mrgreen:

Ripple store.

I was wondering if it was one of those situations when the builder chucked away the instructions and just used whatever materials and skills were available at the time! :mrgreen:

I assumed that these places were built from a very detailed and highly specified plan, leave you pillbox experts to it.( Notice it does not have MG embrasures)?

Last visit I took a pic of the old rail bridge abutment, now used as part of the river gauging station.

IMG_1791.png

I assumed that these places were built from a very detailed and highly specified plan, leave you pillbox experts to it.( Notice it does not have MG embrasures)?

Last visit I took a pic of the old rail bridge abutment, now used as part of the river gauging station.

IMG_1791.png

how about this
032.jpg

031.jpg

Ripple store.

Ricasso, we have both stood in the same places taking almost identical pics, lol.
I have a few more but I would not post without your approval.

I assumed that these places were built from a very detailed and highly specified plan...( Notice it does not have MG embrasures)?

There were, but one of the many things I enjoy about pillboxes is that they vary slightly according to the area and materials available (different kinds of shuttering, etc). And now and then you get a real curved ball like the 'square pillbox'. :mrgreen:

Enjoy seeing the extra pics guys. :)

Ripple store.

And now and then you get a real curved ball like the 'square pillbox'. :mrgreen:

:)

Yes, Ive just taken a crash course on pillbox design on numerous websites, there does seem to be scope for non-standard types.

Ripple store.

Vent fans.
IMG_0834.png

IMG_1782.png

Tank level gauge.
IMG_1781.png

Hydrants from fire pump.
IMG_1795.png

Upper/lower walkway.
IMG_1802.png

Gas decontamination block, I think.
IMG_1786.png

Pumphouse access.
RotationofIMG_1804.png

The rest of my pics look like yours, no pics of the square tank area yet.

Almost forgot this one, wasps ripping piling apart to build a nest.
IMG_1175.png

Last edited:
A welcome addition,it looks a damn sight warmer than my visit :) , i didnt get a chance to check out the buildings the other side of the square tanks' got to go back sometime

Ripple store.

A welcome addition,it looks a damn sight warmer than my visit :) , i didnt get a chance to check out the buildings the other side of the square tanks' got to go back sometime

Bit too warm, nettles and bug central!

Latest posts

Back