WW2 Gas Mask Dump (Plymouth)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a find! Can you imagine the possible environmental risks? I don't know anything about asbestos, but seeing something like that scares the crap out of me.

I hope there isn't any residential sites nearby.

Great shots x

Put it this way, I watched the guy's clearing the asbestos out of Farimile Hospital. It was double bagged and placed in a container. I asked what happened to it and was told it got buried. Seeing that I can believe it.

Put it this way, I watched the guy's clearing the asbestos out of Farimile Hospital. It was double bagged and placed in a container. I asked what happened to it and was told it got buried. Seeing that I can believe it.

REALLY? You can pay a fortune for asbestos removal and all they do is bury it!?!?! Where the hell is the sense in that!
I thought they burnt it or something. Destroyed it completely, not leave it to decompose in the ground. Shocking. :icon_evil

REALLY? You can pay a fortune for asbestos removal and all they do is bury it!?!?! Where the hell is the sense in that!
I thought they burnt it or something. Destroyed it completely, not leave it to decompose in the ground. Shocking. :icon_evil
You would have a bit of a job destroying asbestos with fire:lol: Burying it is probably the best bet but it should be in a place that it can be buried deep enough with no chance of it being disturbed again (and obviously documented as to where it is).

Asbestos! We're all going to die! They actually look like filter canisters from WW1 gas masks, which would have contained charcoal as can be clearly seen in the pics...

The burial of all types of waste asbestos, in properly classified land fill sites, is the only way to deal with this very hazardous material. Usually a 3 metre backfill of clean heavy soil is placed over each burial and the area eventually grassed over. As anybody who ever considers entering buildings containing asbestos should already know, the very properties that made it indispensable to industry mean that it does not degrade or decompose. All exposed asbestos should be considered dangerous unless it is contained in an impermeable membrane or is completely wetted through.

Unfortunately this site was probably initiated before the present asbestos disposal rules came into force. It appears to have suffered, like a number of other dangerous waste sites, from land slippage due to the recent very prolonged wet spell or some rather stupid soil reclamation. No matter how the items came to be dumped, I hope that the finder(s) have reported this to the local environmental health department so that the site can be made safe.

I worked for 30 plus years in an industry that historically used vast amounts of asbestos materials, no doubt many of you have used their services over the years, during that working period the handling and removal of asbestos products became more and more stringent and yet in recent years I have seen an increasing number of colleagues be diagnosed with and die from mesothelioma. Just remember that walking around a contaminated building will stir up fibres that can cling to your clothing and be then transported into your home environment. Wearing a suitable? mask might protect you, but what is going to protect your loved ones from the fibres you release into the home environment? Anybody who thinks I am being over dramatic should do some proper informed research or talk to somebody who has been affected by this insidious illness.

Asbestos! We're all going to die! They actually look like filter canisters from WW1 gas masks, which would have contained charcoal as can be clearly seen in the pics...

The standard infantry type respirator canister was used in WW1 and WW11. Both the civilian round canister and the MOD oval canister contain asbestos pre - filters and sealing rings as well as the activated charcoal that contained (removed from the air stream) the poisonous gas.

There was a dump (signposted "private coup") in Inchinnan containing WW2 gas masks and helmets at grid reference NS465707 on OS map NS47, which myself and some friends discovered while out exploring in the late 1960s. I took home a few of the ones in better condition.

Latest posts

Back