Floatel - Northwich - May09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ermi1977

Reaction score
The floatel opened in the late 80's and is moored on the River Weaver off
London Road, it is believed to be the only one of its kind in the country.
and has gallantly survived all the river has thrown at it, including rising above flooding,
which affected the town centre. The Hotel is attached to the
riverside with chains and basically floats like a boat.

In October 2006 the fire brigade had to be called when staff noticed there was
something wrong in the early hours of the morning.
Cheshire fire service were called and spent several hours pumping water out which had
seeped into the hull. However, guests were not evacuated and no water seeped into the
hotel itself.

floatel165.jpg

floatel126.jpg

floatel120.jpg

floatel035.jpg

floatel052.jpg

floatel071.jpg

floatel075.jpg

floatel089.jpg

floatel088.jpg

floatel114.jpg

floatel092.jpg

floatel094.jpg

floatel096.jpg

floatel100.jpg

floatel151.jpg

floatel047.jpg

floatel050.jpg

floatel161.jpg

floatel156.jpg

Nice one guys, Premier Inn are building something similar at Hartlepool Marina as a floating extension to the land based one they have there.

What a brilliant place. It has not been vacant too long by the length of the shoots on those tatties:p I have some in the cupboard of a similar length.

Great find guys, thanks for sharing. :mrgreen: Any ideas what the future holds for this?

Yeh it only cllosed in Jan this year, we've looked at it a few times but never got in however Enviromental protection have been in to set a pump running (the place is slowly sinking it seems.)

British Waterways are wanting to redevelop the whole area so I guess it will probably go unless a buyer is found soonish.

It looks in fab condition inside. Im sure the Famous Grouse tasted ok? :)

It always supprises me that they leave so much behind when they close a place up, I often wonder why it isn't sold off. Nice explore though, and drinks as well, jammy beggers! :)

It looks in fab condition inside. Im sure the Famous Grouse tasted ok? :)

Better than what's in that cup?

An almost literal Mary Celeste, just like no-one turned up one day.

How easy would it be to tow this to another location?

Thanks for all the comments folks, it was a nice feeling to know we were some of the first people in since it closed.

How easy would it be to tow this to another location?

According to old news reports its pretty much just chained in place, so other than removing the power, water and waste connections I guess not too hard.

It always supprises me that they leave so much behind when they close a place up, I often wonder why it isn't sold off. Nice explore though, and drinks as well, jammy beggers! :)

This is often the case when houses are put up for auction where the previous owner is deceased
and the sale is being arranged by solicitors or executor who may live many miles away or overseas.
I recall going to the viewing for a house auction in West London the last time we had a recession,
it was crammed full of old 78 records and magazines from the ‘50s –i thought of bidding just to get
the contents of the house, and then resell the house.
Nice one Ermi – is it for sale or rent ?

did anyone notice the lights on? :/ because we noticed when we went that the whole hotel was still wired and on its a really cool place and strangely intact? not been "CHAV ATTACKED" yet :)

Nice explore :) Stayed at the "Boatel" in Amsterdam last year, it wasn`t that smart :lol:

did anyone notice the lights on? :/ because we noticed when we went that the whole hotel was still wired and on its a really cool place and strangely intact? not been "CHAV ATTACKED" yet :)

When did you go? the power was still on when we went but when we left we turned off all but the supply that was running the water pumps.

When did you go? the power was still on when we went but when we left we turned off all but the supply that was running the water pumps.

well when we went we went at night and the thing was lit up like a christmas tree :p and it was pristene inside but then w viseted again then next week and the place was a mess we could hear smashing upstairs so we investigated and there were a group of chavs doing the place over. we have recently visited and the power has now been completly cut and the whole place is a picture of distruction :/ FUCKING CHAVS! :mad:
we did try to secure he door on the way out but the wido was smashed :/ th pumps have also been removed now.

Mat x

Sheep, Fairygirl and I started to have a look at this earlier on today, and we only went inside a little, and it looks like the pikey's are stripping it out as we speak. Copper pipes had been cut, wires all cut off and dangling down to the floor. Was in a dreadful state, needless to say, we didn't venture in very far, and turned around and came back out again. Had been wanting to see inside since Ernie's pics had gone up, now it's bad.

It looks like the ground floor rooms on the car park side of the floatel are about a foot under water too. :(

:( Sal

Gutted to hear the pikey and chav reports I had wanted to go back for another look around.

Bugger work for keeping me away.

Latest posts

Back