RAF Bottisham June 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
Hi All
This is my first post after looking at the site for many months and a couple of guided tours around RAF Upwood and the photographic factory near by.
I poped over to the old RAF base in Bottisham recently. I remember this place may years ago when one of the buildings was being used as a car garage.

First building as you enter, It looks like this building may still be in use:
3615124260_9cd89fcbe2.jpg

3615236376_05da28cb61.jpg

3615236248_d9a3f1bf41.jpg

3615236034_a5ca168d42.jpg

3614307121_323cb3bc31.jpg

3614307239_958eb7486a.jpg

3615124874_b74a30b574.jpg

3614306517_d24144fd9b.jpg

3615125396_01c20fa363.jpg

I am now trying to find out what thisis being used for:
3615124570_901210090a.jpg

All of that is in pretty good nick really !........... Looks like the one building has had a proper refurb job done too....anything of the runways left ?????? Hangars ?.......Perimeter Track??????.Dispersals???????etc?????:lol:

Aha! A quick Google and I find that it was a PSP runway.......pierced steel planking..a bit like tank track matting or sometimes a lighter version like a sorta 'weld mesh' was used for fighter fields like this was.......a clever way to make a semi 'hard' surface in double quick time basically ...........so.......... you'll have a job to find any of that left in site.......worth looking closely at all the chicken runs in the area for any pieces that may have been 'liberated' for civilian use when the airfield closed.........

Last edited:
All of that is in pretty good nick really !........... Looks like the one building has had a proper refurb job done too....anything of the runways left ?????? Hangars ?.......Perimeter Track??????.Dispersals???????etc?????:lol:

Aha! A quick Google and I find that it was a PSP runway.......pierced steel planking..a bit like tank track matting or sometimes a lighter version like a sorta 'weld mesh' was used for fighter fields like this was.......a clever way to make a semi 'hard' surface in double quick time basically ...........so.......... you'll have a job to find any of that left in site.......worth looking closely at all the chicken runs in the area for any pieces that may have been 'liberated' for civilian use when the airfield closed.........

There is still plenty of that stuff lying around at the heliport in Vung Tau in Vietnam. I think reconnaisance aircraft used it during their little spat.

Although thankfully, they now use concrete for their choppers. :D

I am now trying to find out what thisis being used for...

It looks like a WW2 reconstruction, with the paint, sandbags and 'shatter-proof stripes' on the windows. There's one similar to that at Dunkeswell airfield, owned by a heritage-type group (can'r recall the name off-hand). :mrgreen:
Great to see the buildings well preserved and in use. Nice pics, Kizza.
Welcome to DP, btw. :)

Good to see WW2 buildings being appreciated and cared for. Nice work Kizza -thanks for posting. Excellent first post -welcome :)

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting

You "poped" over? Hail Mary, full of grace!:mrgreen:

I've just been looking at this on the airfield plan and I'm fairly sure it's Bottisham Site 4 - the WAAF Mess, Communal and Quarters site. I've only got the main airfield plan at the moment (the communal sites plan is on back order) but it's got a small inset plan of the dispersed sites. Once the other site plan turns up, I should be able to identify the individual buildings in your pictures and hopefully also pick up any other extant bits from the WW2 site which might be worth a look.

You'll probably also find the location of one of the dispersed sites quite interesting Kizza ;)

Latest posts

Back