Sleepover! Grain Tower Battery - Sept 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tank2020

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Be careful what you say to your kids, you may just have to live up to your word, I may have said; in passing "what an experience it would be to stay in the fort overnight, completely cut of from land". Low and behold we try it.

Arrived on the beach in the towering shadow of the power station around 4pm. Ever tried walking over cobbles covered in slime, mud and full of rock pools, while carrying substantial survival essentials. quite comedic for someone watching I should think.

DSC09354.jpg

DSC09360.jpg

DSC09362.jpg

DSC09500.jpg

Had a quick look around the place, dodging around some pretty big holes in the floor. Whilst at the very top of the tower a group of about 6 or 7 people could be seen sliding over the cobbles, we sat aside and let them wonder, as we were going to have plenty of time to look. Had a good chat with a couple of them to, but didn't think to ask if they were on DP. So hello if you are, a pleasure meeting you.

Just when we thought the visits were over, 2 young lads turned up to fish, but found the weirdos staying on the castle much more interesting. They proceeded to try and scare us with storys of police, lifeboats and dead soldiers. One lad securely re-fitted the ladder for us which he said he installed originally. I must admit I thought he was going to nick it, but credit due.

DSC09368.jpg

DSC09382.jpg

DSC09389.jpg

DSC09385.jpg

DSC09386.jpg

The Fort is of 2 eras. A WW2 battery on top of a Mortello Tower, I must admit I fell in love with the old tower, which is a little scarred by the concrete battery and brick barracks attached to the side like a growth.

We chose our bedroom, based on lack of wind and glass on the floor. We then went up top and watched the light fade, shadows grow and the lights of the industry around flicker to life.

I must admit once the water had engulfed the tower, I don't think I had ever felt so content, knowing pretty much I was unable to do anything in the way of normal life, until the tide went out 5 hours later.

DSC09392.jpg

DSC09395.jpg

DSC09398.jpg

DSC09403.png

DSC09404.jpg

DSC09420.jpg

Sitting staring at the shipping going past, we noticed shadows darting across the floor, on closer inspection we found what seem to be woodlice, however they must have been special sea castle lice, as they were huge, big enough that you could see the individual organs within their transparent bodies, nice.

Midnight, decided to try and get some kip. However; who knew the sea moving up and down over hidden pipework and holes could make such a muddle of sound, from thudding to whispers, I think we managed about an hour.

DSC09428.jpg

DSC09430.png

DSC09431.png

DSC09432.jpg

DSC09435.jpg

DSC09442.jpg

Time to get up and finish the supplies, about a litre of hot chocolate and 3 Ham and Egg roles later, I managed to straighten my spine and check the tide. I must admit that as much as I enjoyed my stay I was looking forward to getting back to my bed.

DSC09443.jpg

DSC09444.jpg

DSC09445.jpg

DSC09480.jpg

DSC09486.jpg

DSC09501.jpg

Slip slide across the cobbles we look back and see the red of the sun breaking the horizon, lighting the quarter moon, casting a silhouette of the fort. I didn't care at this point, I didn't even take a picture; just carried on slipping back to my bed.

DSC09517.jpg

DSC09522.jpg

DSC09526.jpg

DSC09534.jpg

Good to think I'll have to do it again in a few years, once the little lady is big enough. Still time will let me look back with fondness I am sure.

Cheers

t2020

That's just fantastic, I have always had a soft spot for anything that is tide dependent. I must add this to my list, I bet your kids thought this was a great adventure :) Quality photos too, especially the crepuscular rays ;)

tried to interest my kids in a asylum they where less than keen and lasted 20 mins before it was obvious they where a bit freaked but that's what happens when you try to cone your dad with bravado:lol::lol: good stuff mate looks like you all had fun :)

Fantastic report! Probably the only report that works as a text only. The fantastic photos are pure bonus! What an amazing adventure!

That's just fantastic, I have always had a soft spot for anything that is tide dependent. I must add this to my list, I bet your kids thought this was a great adventure :) Quality photos too, especially the crepuscular rays ;)

Add it to our list bud looks like a great atmospheric place to visit. Nice shots and story tank too...

I really wanted to do this one in the summer, but apparently Newage has an aversion to seawater. Brilliant pics Tank and a great report to boot!
Godzy

Hello Tank, I was in the group who you met on saturday evening!
Looks like you had a good night, did those local kids leave you in peace?
Good to meet you:)

Hello Tank, I was in the group who you met on saturday evening!
Looks like you had a good night, did those local kids leave you in peace?
Good to meet you:)

Good to meet you too. One lad went pretty sharpish once the girls he was with left, but the other lad stayed for a while, plying us with horror stories, I didn't mind, he seemed pretty lonely and wasn't keen on the people he had to hang around with in Grain.

May see you around in the future.

Slept here earlier this year too, we were really lucky with tide times though as we had a low tide around sunset on the day that we were passing by in need of somewhere to bed down... With the next low tide being around 10am the following day, perfect!

You took a lot more pics than me though, good stuff haha. Glad you didn't get picked up by the coastguard either, I've heard they take people back to sure on the East bank of the Medway... Bit of a bitch trying to get back to the car park if that happens.

Back