Cree Torches in Tesco

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_D

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Just a 'heads up'. Bought an impressive 2 x 'D' Cree black aluminium torch from Tesco Hertford today for the equally impressive low price of £14.96:). Been looking at them for a few days now but there has been no price for them on the shelf they are on. I asked a bored assistant on the Tesco Collect counter to check for me and was pleasantly surprised at the price. They also have a 2 x 'AA' version for £9.96 (which is marked up) but for the extra fiver the BIG torch is a no brainer. Light output seriously impressive and with two 'D' cells should last a good length of time.

Overall length 9" (227mm in new money)

P9210144_zpscd8f1960.jpg

I actually have a couple of these and the smaller ones and I think that UrbanX uses the smaller version too.

They aren't bad especially for the price and to be honest there's not much difference in brightness between the two :)

Ive been massively tempted by getting a couple of these as my usual torch being a weapons light is a little bright so at night tends to make me a beacon rather than a stealthy Urbexer. :D

Ive been massively tempted by getting a couple of these as my usual torch being a weapons light is a little bright so at night tends to make me a beacon rather than a stealthy Urbexer. :D

These are also pretty bright mind, then saying that any white light will attract attention in the night...

These are also pretty bright mind, then saying that any white light will attract attention in the night...
I did a little test last night. Round here, when the clock strikes midnight all the street lights go out, it is DARK! I found that from my front door step I could illuminate parts of an industrial building that Google Earth assures me is just under 400 metres away:eek:

Red led torches are where it's at for moving around without drawing attention. Not so good for light painting though. :)

Not only are they a lot more subtle, they also preserve your night vision so you can see more all round rather than just what your white torch is illuminating.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/led-torch/night-vision.html

it might just be me being a morlock but I find once my eyes adjust I don't need a torch for most places above ground

for really low light you can get the crappy 9 led torches that put out about 5 lm which will let you see what's directly in front of you and because they are low light if you put a black card cone around the end it cannot be seen at distance

Totally agree with krela, but my red light torch usage was for other means to exploring. You could buy one of them torches or get a red filter for your current torch or if you are a keen DIY'er make your own red filter.

DIY - Just make sure you check that face of the torch doesn't get hot for prolonged use, as you may find some poorly selected plastics sticking for a bit longer than anticipated! Choose very carefully.

Personally though I like PaulPowers suggestion about the cone too, its preventing the light being seen at distance, which even red (e.g. dedicated or filter) may produce some extra light that you don't really want others seeing.

C

PS Bought two torches from Tosco, a Cree (2D) was faulty (going back tomorrow), however the (2AA) was fine. Good prices and will supplement the head torch as back ups.

Red led torches are where it's at for moving around without drawing attention. Not so good for light painting though. :)

Not only are they a lot more subtle, they also preserve your night vision so you can see more all round rather than just what your white torch is illuminating.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/led-torch/night-vision.html

Yup as Krela says, red is excellent for preserving your night vision, used to use them a lot when I was into my Astronomy, you could read a star map then look back at the sky without problems, as for making one, if you have a spare torch then red permanent marker works great and saves any mucking about.

Oh dear, I've just totally identified myself as a nerd haven't I???

because we have a small tesco where I live, thought I'd look on tesco direct but can't find it. Any more details i.e. brand, model No?
Cheers

Its labelled as a CREE aluminium torch (2AA) no model number could give a barcode though (Tosco's one) and the other unsuprisingly is called a CREE aluminium torch (2D) no model number again, but have that bar code too.

C

The 2DD on is listed HERE but shows as currently unavailable. However the "AA" one is listed as available HERE on Tesco Direct.
Looks like they are clearing the 2DD ones in store only.

I have one of the old AA Tesco Cree torches and it has outlasted my £50 Fenix torch. If you are after a good cheap head torch then Robert Dyas do a Cree one with 2 power levels and adjustable beam for £10 which is seriously bright.

Great stuff! UrbexSW is right I use the 2AA version. It's as good as my £50 fenix was.
I've given up with expensive torches, I just lose them! (The £50 fenix is in the Newmarket sewerage system somewhere!)

went into Tesco today and a nice friendly shop assistant was just putting a boxful out on display, is that good timing or what, needless to say bought one and nearly blinded the cat tonight, amazing

Latest posts

Back