Derby Royal Infirmary (pic heavy) - March 2014

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northantz_Urbex

Reaction score
I had never been to DRI and nor had my fellow explore buddy so we planned a little road trip up to Derby to get a mooch round this well sized hospital before its too late. We set off at 6 am to get a good days worth of explore out of the day, as we both didn't know much on the building before we set off we wasn't sure of what to expect when we got there we both knew its been visited by many and been derelict for over 4 years but we didn't know access's, security tactics or nothing so on arrival we scoped it out found our access and got on the grounds. As we go closer to the building it became apparent it was in such a bad state there was no need to scope out ways in as everything was smashed to bits about half the doors have been ripped off most the windows broke and nearly everything that would break has been broken and there was junkies living in the tower block but putting that all aside it was a really good day out and like any other explore if you look you will find scenario it does make it worth while :) Here is some history on the building,

During the year that he was Mayor of Derby, Sir Alfred Seale Haslam managed to replace the old William Strutt Infirmary with the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. In 1890 there had been an outbreak of disease at the old infirmary and Sir William Evans, President of the Infirmary arranged a three day inspection which condemned the old building. When Queen Victoria came to open the new hospital on 21 May 1891 she knighted Haslam for his services and gave permission for the term "Royal" to be used.

And here is what the future holds for the site courtesy of the Derby Telegraph,

After centuries at the heart of Derby's health service, a developer has revealed plans aimed at ensuring the site of the city's first hospital remains central to its future.
Housing firm UK Regeneration (UKR) wants to build 300 much-needed homes for rent on eight acres of land between London Road and Osmaston Road that it will buy from Derby Hospitals NHS Trust.
The site is still home to the buildings of Derbyshire Royal Infirmary but, before that, it was the site of the city's first hospital, the Derbyshire General Infirmary, built between 1806 and 1810.

DSC_0172.png

DSC_0170.png

DSC_0204.png

DSC_0074.png

DSC_0007.png

DSC_0006.png

DSC_0010.png

DSC_0011.png

DSC_0183.png

DSC_0184.png

DSC_0015.png

DSC_0042.png

DSC_0044.png

DSC_0047-1.png

DSC_0048.png

DSC_0049-1.png

DSC_0052.png

DSC_0057.png

DSC_0069.png

DSC_0075.png

DSC_0079.png

DSC_0081.png

DSC_0093.png

DSC_0134.png

DSC_0232.png

DSC_0227.png

DSC_0145.png

DSC_0154.png

DSC_0162.png

DSC_0165.png

DSC_0151.png

DSC_0117.png

DSC_0124.png

DSC_0128.png

DSC_0130.png

Sorry for the amount of pictures but i couldn't pick between the 250+ pictures i had of the day any ways thanks for looking :)

Your getting some great places on here,fantastic reports.i want to go exploring with you lol.

Nice ones! I can't believe the amount of equipment they left there, it's disgusting. I know they've got a lovely new shiny Royal Derby Hospital but that could have been a new bed, or drugs, or a nurse for a year.

I should imagine that Stryker saw in the mortuary could tell a few tales. I agree with ZeaJane above that when hospitals are abandoned, they seem to leave a lot of expensive equipment behind. I have found CT and MRI scanners in place and the "tubes" still in place. (Not saying where, obviously). In one hospital in another country, their CSSD had literally thousands of surgical instruments left behind. Even the autoclaves had bagged up and sterilized instruments in them. It looked as if someone called a fire drill but no-one ever went back. Strange. I am quite convinced that a vast amount of money is written off in this way - I wonder how it is accounted for and more to the point, I wonder what they tell us about it.

Makes me want to go here even more now, i heard it was thrashed. But some nice shots! Ill have to plan a trip

Latest posts

Back