American Adventure Theme Park, Ilkeston Derbyshire-April 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, although it's nice to know that (something!) remains, it's upsetting to see so much has gone, a lot of really quality theming has been destroyed. Surely somebody could have taken it on?

What remains now is (more or less) what's left of what was built for Britannia Park back in 1985. For those who are interested, I wrote an article documenting the parks history a couple of years ago. You can read it here.

A lot of my childhood memories lay in those ruins :(

openmike article

For those who are interested, I wrote an article documenting the parks history a couple of years ago. You can read it here.

The openmike article was a great read, thankyou WillPS for sharing the link. It seems the AA had a grey cloud hanging over it from the start due to all the politics and re-ownerships.

Last edited:
yeah, it was basically trying to compete with alton + thorpe park + guilivers all of whic lay within an hours drive or so. so people would rather drive to alton!

so instead of putting up big white knuckle rides they tore them down to sell so they could make it into more of a kiddies theme park, however, this was teh wrong desicion, as gullivers pretty much already did that an isn't 10mins down the road! infact from top of the loop coaster you could probably SEE guillivers kingdom!!!

in this day and age how it failed and shut is beyond me, the management must have been blind, or ill informed

yeah, it was basically trying to compete with alton + thorpe park + guilivers all of whic lay within an hours drive or so. so people would rather drive to alton!

so instead of putting up big white knuckle rides they tore them down to sell so they could make it into more of a kiddies theme park, however, this was teh wrong desicion, as gullivers pretty much already did that an isn't 10mins down the road! infact from top of the loop coaster you could probably SEE guillivers kingdom!!!

in this day and age how it failed and shut is beyond me, the management must have been blind, or ill informed

A very different site to the one I visited about a year ago.

I got caught by someone who has an interest in the site around January. The lack of development at AA seemed to be as much about politics as it did finance. There was apparantly a few planning ideas refused.

Anyway, he seemed to think the site would be turned into a sort of country persuits thing- fishing, equestrian, maybe go karts. The kinds of things he thought people would spend money on.

I abso dont agree with you BrickMan, sorry. AA had HUGE potential, and still has. Its very close to the main road/motorway, and deserves respect, if it wasnt for the lot that say people would rather go to Alton...it wouldv stayed, and expanded, id rather go to AA than Alton, even now, Alton is soo overrated. (Coming from an Euorpean Coaster Club member)

meh, tis just my view, I wasn't on the committee, I wasn't runing it, don't even live local, that view was just based on what I know/knew about it.

If you ask me, the problem with AA was severalfold...

The development was originally a way for the National Coal Board to say "look, we care", but Britannia Park did nothing but annoy residents, and that created a lot of ill feeling towards the place. Additionally, some of the work done by KLF (the owners of Britannia Park) and the NCB was shoddy, and resulted in subsidence (part of the reason for the closure of the wonderful top entrance, the other part being John Broome's desire for a one-level park).

Then there's the issue of advertising - the park never advertised itself very well, particularly in the mid-90s. This meant the park's target audience rarely expanded beyond the East Midlands. Seeing as Granada (now ITV plc.) owned them at that time, that really shouldn't have been the case!

The whole Adventure World thing in the late 90s was pure fantasy aswell... turn the place into Islands of Adventure (Universal Studios Complex, Florida) - that would have been amazing but with UK planning laws that could never have happened. A huge inverted rollercoaster (think Nemesis), a woodie to rival anything else in the UK - brilliant ideas but didn't even reach the council's planning board!

The real clincher though, was Ventureworld/THG (park's last owners) lack of foresight. They quickly realised that with minimal input the same relatively mediorce audience would return over and over... and then they realised that they realised that taking away a large chunk of their maintenance budget wouldn't have any immediate effect either... in the long term this absolutely devastated the park. It got to the point where 3 key rides (Rapids, Missile and Nightmare Niagara log flume) were unreliable and unlikely to pass their annual safety check. All three would have needed a sizable chunk of investment just to get them running for 2005... and THG didn't see the need.

So the park was literally forced to throw away Nightmare Niagara - probably the most popular attraction the park had during the summer. I literally cried when I saw them taking that thing apart. She really was on her last legs and was very poorly treated by the end - sizable hole's in her channel had been patched with something that looked suspiciously like Polyfilla.

The Missile also went; the park disposed of the one thing they would need to succeed again - their planning wedge. Any objections could have been met with "but it's not as tall/loud as The Missile" - with that gone they were at the planner's mercy.

The Shipley Lakeside site is _perfect_ for a theme park, and the basic infrastructure laid down by Britannia Park was very good. But with the Leisure industry the way it is and Merlin's (who own Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Legoland etc.) dominance over the theme park sector... I can't see it happening. Perhaps Cedar Fair will come over and rescue it. Perhaps I should keep dreaming :).

Six Flags England!!!

Bring in the Six Flags chain, and let them fish it up, but thatll be slightly off topic, so ill shut up now.

:cry:Heya
This place will hold memories for me
Im now 15 years old and the first time I went here was for my 10th birthday were i went with my best freind who moved to blackpool
I went here again when i was 12 with my friend who moved to america
I live down the road and it takes 20minutes on foot
Ive allways wanted to dive under the fence for a loook around but my dad would kill me if the coppers where to bring me home for trespassing
I went for the auction which they held to auction things off. I dived under some rope and walked around the log flume station before my mum told me to get out as security was on the way
Sadly my computer fuked up and i lost me precious last pictures of the walk around. I never went through the old blue and red entrance, so when i went to the auction in ocotber i wet myself as i walked through the old entrance, looked around the shops and went down the blue and white stairs with the stars on
But like i said, my computer broke and i have lost them pictures :(
Now all i have is my memories:cry:

American Adventure Feb 2009

I visited a few days ago, nearly everything is gone now, the old entrance remains and so does "Aztec Corner" All that is left of most of the major parts is now rubble, but the remaining buildings seem to be in good condition. I will hopefully post some of my pictures soon.
I never went to the park when it was open (I am 15 too) and I never saw a soul on my way around when I went the other day.

Yes please, the last time me, Mendo and Fairygirl went during the summer last year, we just ventured to the bottom end of the lake to feed the ducks. Although we could see 3 uniformed people where the buildings are, no one came to the side we were on to move us on, just left us to it. :)

Still think Derbyshire County Council should own it again (if they don't already) and incorporate it back into Shipley Country Park, with the addition of rides again. And rebuild it back up, but with the entrance from the country park side instead.

Looking forward to seeing any pics from here.

:) Sal

ps, the breakfast presenter on Mansfield 103.2 used to be in the western cast, and regularly used to drop from a balcony above the saloon. :lol:

I will post the pics sometime today then. Most of the site is rubble, but there are still small details which give clues as to what was there. They stopped using the old entrance due to mining subsidence. If you go inside it, some parts are held up with scaffolding.

Last edited:
an old topic I know but brings back great memories

Don't know if these are any help to anyone but its how it used to look back when i visited in 1996,
good times.
Good explore by the way, nice shots of whats left. I'm surprised it still standing at all..

aadv2.jpg

Log Flume.
aadv.jpg

nice shots Laura
reminds me of the olden days!

I think it is all gone now (except the lake) as this was done a year ago. Dont think derbyshire council know what to do with the place.

Latest posts

Back