Brassington ROC Post, Longcliffe - Derbyshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojay

Reaction score
Visited by Ojay, Diehardlove & Fazy_Uk.

ROC_External.jpg

Whilst in the area I asked D.H.L if there were local ROC posts, as I haven't experienced one yet. Within minutes we arrived here at Longcliffe where there is the usual underground ROC post, but also a second WW2 brick post further uphill, which having tried to find some history on it turns out that it's one of only 2 surviving examples left in the country. Naturally we took a look at both of them.

The underground post has had it's hatch damaged, and also was slightly flooded at the entrance and quite trashed inside, however a number of items were still reasonably intact:

Bunkbeds, Toilet, paperwork, desk, chair, cannisters, partial telecoms etc..

Hatch

_1014129.jpg

_1014112.jpg

'32 Post'

_1014100.jpg

Used to pump waste to the surface

_1014110.jpg

Toilet

_1014111.jpg

Into the Command Room

_1014118.jpg

Inside the Command Room, complete with Bunkbeds & Telecoms

ROC_Internal.jpg

Battery maintenance

_1014109.jpg

Peace through NATO

_1014115.jpg

WW2 brick post, complete with aircraft observation

_1014119.jpg

Inside

_1014121.jpg

Diehardlove

_1014122.jpg

View from the top, looking out over Brassington ROC Post

_1014124.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

DHL took me here as I hadnt done a ROC post either..the other obs post sure had some dodgy little steps didnt it?
Another DHL satisfied customer like meself!

The brick tower is an observation tower part of the "Granite System". Basically watching out for low flying aircraft, and sending maroons to warn of local high ground.

its strange Iv seen a few obs towers & they all seem to be different despite all the posts being identical.
I suppose that the observation posts were not made to a fixed specification, unlike the underground ROC posts but just contracted to local builders who put their own interpretation on what was required? This illustration of an ROC post really allows people, who haven't seen/been in an ROC post, get their heads around how they are....
On a different ROC related topic, I posted this report about the Hertford ROC post 11 years ago Hertford ROC Post and fairly recently I returned to have another look at it and was pleasantly surprised to find that it appears to have been purchased/adopted by someone or group and been totally restored. It was securely locked up so I couldn't see the interior, but suspect it is now back to its former glory :cool:
Does anyone, on here, know who has done this? I can find no reference on line to its restoration. :(
I will get over there again in a few days and get some pictures of the exterior/compound.

Attachments

• ROC post cutaway.jpg
    ROC post cutaway.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I suppose that the observation posts were not made to a fixed specification, unlike the underground ROC posts but just contracted to local builders who put their own interpretation on what was required? This illustration of an ROC post really allows people, who haven't seen/been in an ROC post, get their heads around how they are....
On a different ROC related topic, I posted this report about the Hertford ROC post 11 years ago Hertford ROC Post and fairly recently I returned to have another look at it and was pleasantly surprised to find that it appears to have been purchased/adopted by someone or group and been totally restored. It was securely locked up so I couldn't see the interior, but suspect it is now back to its former glory :cool:
Does anyone, on here, know who has done this? I can find no reference on line to its restoration. :(
I will get over there again in a few days and get some pictures of the exterior/compound.

thats good that another will be restored.
Iv explored 15-20 & u struggle to find many that aren't completely trashed or burnt out these days.

thats good that another will be restored.
Iv explored 15-20 & u struggle to find many that aren't completely trashed or burnt out these days.
Just re-discovered the picture of the Hertford post, that I took, when I found that it had been restored, surprised to see that it was September 2019 :oops:

Went up there again today and doesn't look like anyone has been up there for a while :(

Attachments

• Hertford ROC post restored.jpg
    Hertford ROC post restored.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Hertford ROC post 1.jpg
    Hertford ROC post 1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Hertford ROC post 2.jpg
    Hertford ROC post 2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Hertford ROC post 3.jpg
    Hertford ROC post 3.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Just re-discovered the picture of the Hertford post, that I took, when I found that it had been restored, surprised to see that it was September 2019 :oops:

Went up there again today and doesn't look like anyone has been up there for a while :(
I guess thats the prob with most, people do restore them then do what with them?
there is a restored one in Kettering where I live but Iv never been for a look cos I think its only open once a year!

I stumbled across one out thetford way that appears to been turned into a air b&b which is novel

Latest posts

Back