Bristol North Baths - Things to do with a derelict swimming pool.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krela

Reaction score
So this is a report with a bit of a difference, because it's not strictly urbex, it's about a group of passionate volunteers taking license of an empty and derelict Edwardian building to re-open it to the public in a useful way until redevelopment is ready to start. The aim was to ensure the security of the building, to make good the damage from 7 years of disuse and neglect, to stop it from deteriorating any further, and to give the local community access to the wonderful space rather than let it lay empty.

The building was commissioned in 1912 as part of a string of municipal pools in Bristol, making this it's centenary year. It was completed in 1917 and almost immediately requisitioned for war purposes. It opened as a pool post war. During the winters the pool was too cold to bathe in, so in the years between the war, every late autumn the pool was boarded over and the building was used as a cinema, then the boards were removed in late spring turning it back into a pool. In more recent years the pool was run by Bristol City Council, but for various reasons, and much to the anger and disappointment of the local community, it was shut in 2005. It has lain empty ever since.

The building is Grade II listed, and the current plan is to convert it into a new community health centre, maintaining many of the original features. Development is due to start in the next month or so, but has already been delayed multiple times over 5 years, so who knows. Until development starts the building is being looked after by "The Deep End" project, who after doing a huge amount of work on the building to make it suitable for public entry ran a number of events in May, including an art exhibition, film nights, and a fashion show.

I have 2 sets of photos for the project on flickr, one set from before the project with the building as it stood derelict, and a set from the art exhibition.

Externals:

IMG_1892 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_1878 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_1905 by krela, on Flickr

4. Main entrance before

IMG_1934 by krela, on Flickr

5. Main entrance after (check out the polished granite floor)

IMG_2423 by krela, on Flickr

6. Foyer before

IMG_1926 by krela, on Flickr

7. Foyer after (check out the polished granite floor)

IMG_2409 by krela, on Flickr

8. Main staircase before

IMG_1929 by krela, on Flickr

9. Main staircase after

IMG_2417 by krela, on Flickr

10. Foyer again, before

IMG_1932 by krela, on Flickr

11. Foyer again, after

IMG_2418 by krela, on Flickr

Pool area before

IMG_1736 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_1720 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_1737 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_1752 by krela, on Flickr

Pool area after

IMG_2251 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_2217 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_2266 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_2215 by krela, on Flickr

IMG_2226 by krela, on Flickr

There's loads more before and after photos on flickr.

Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoyed it as it is a little bit different from the norm. It just goes to show that with determination and hard work good things can happen.

I don't quite know what to say! This thread goes to show that there are still people in the world that actually care about not just themselves but their community, enviroment, the buildings and history that surrounds them.

There are many buildings that could do with this sort of treatment and I really do take my hat off to everybody involved in this project. I think we all at some point have said we would like to do something like this but it takes a huge amount of passion and determination to pull it off and make it happen. Well done to everybody.

Do you know when the development is due to start on this? Would be great to see it first hand before this happens!

How the bloody hell did ya get in there?! Tried on saturday with ninja kitten, do ya think we could get in? Could we hell!!
Good work...

The site has a 24 hour onsite presence of people who actually have a clue... don't even bother. ;)

To answer your question though I'm part of the project.

Last edited:
How good is that??? Refreshing to see something being put back into the community fella!!

Urm Krela, I don't know if you've noticed, but in pic 19 theres a large wad of money on the floor, just in front of the safe???

I really Love This Place I WONDER IF IT CLOSED ON HALLOWEEN LOVE THE MAC-DONALD DEEP END GRAFFITI BRILLANT FIND THERE KRELA THANK YOU.

I'm almost sure I'd read about this a while back and had been waiting for a big reveal. Very worth waiting for :) Thats just awesome. Nice one guys. I'd have loved to have lived nearer and been somehow involved.

I'm almost sure I'd read about this a while back and had been waiting for a big reveal. Very worth waiting for :) Thats just awesome. Nice one guys. I'd have loved to have lived nearer and been somehow involved.

Yes I've mentioned it before both on here and Facebook, but only just got round to writing it up. :)

I'd seen the 'after' pics before but it's amazing to see them compared side by side. Massive kudos to you and everyone else involved, stuff like this doesn't 'just happen' without tremendous effort! :)

I dont know why, but I find this bit really fascinating :)

During the winters the pool was too cold to bathe in, so in the years between the war, every late autumn the pool was boarded over and the building was used as a cinema, then the boards were removed in late spring turning it back into a pool.

WOW!!! WHAT A FANTASTIC BUILDING!! (yes it deserves capitals!) I think folks who do this to old buildings are pure geniuses! Brilliant art installations! I wish a group cud get together and take care of the old marconi factory.

Back