Cad bramley 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosive

Reaction score
Central Ammunition Depot,Bramley shut in the 70s.
Part is still used as training area,remaining was used for industrial use till 2007.

Now being turned into cheap,homes.:mad:

thpcworld046Small.jpg

thpcworld039Small.jpg

thpcworld033Small.jpg

thpcworld028Small.jpg

thpcworld017Small2-2.jpg

Tracks still visable.

thpcworld010Small.jpg

Fire Station

thpcworld009Small2.jpg

I'd rather a derelict military depot is turned into some housing instead of ripping up more farmland. I'd rather live NEAR Nottingham then live IN it to be perfectly honest. What saddens me is when something isn't photographed and gets demolished, thankfully CAD Bramley is not such an example.

Central Ammunition Depot,Bramley shut in the 70s.
Part is still used as training area,remaining was used for industrial use till 2007.

Now being turned into cheap,homes.:mad:

View attachment 21140

View attachment 21141

View attachment 21142

View attachment 21143

View attachment 21144
Tracks still visable.

View attachment 21145

Fire Station

View attachment 21146
I was privileged to be given access to the former Central Ammunition Depot at Bramley in Hampshire (which closed in 1987) while researching a book on the site. Many buildings (many derelict or semi-derelict) remain together with some disused railway lines that once formed part of a 30+ mile network that criss-crossed the site. A fascinating place with a fascinating history.

If I am allowed to plug my book ... FIRST-EVER BOOK ON THE FORMER CENTRAL AMMUNITION DEPOT BRAMLEY, HAMPSHIRE & ITS EXTENSIVE RAILWAY. LIMITED EDITION AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. Deadline for pre-orders – 4th March, 2023. £38.95 incl. UK P&P.

It covers in detail one of the largest but lesser-known military railways in the United Kingdom as well as the role of the Depot and all key buildings. Born out of the First World War, playing a key role in the Second World War and remaining operational until 1987, little has previously been published on the Bramley Military Railway at the Central Ammunition Depot (CAD) in Bramley, Hampshire. Shrouded in official secrecy, it did not even appear on Ordnance Survey maps until after its closure. Drawing heavily on first-hand accounts and primary sources, this book explains the background to the CAD, its history and role from 1917 to the present day, railway layout (line by line) and operations, all principal buildings and associated sidings, locomotives and rolling stock. A4 hardback. 285 pages. 161 photographs (120 colour & 41 B&W – many previously unpublished), 87 maps, plans and diagrams detailing every aspect of the railway as well as detailed information about the wider history of the Depot and its role.

‘The Secret Railway in the Woods’ by Chris Hegg & Laurence Bindley can be pre-ordered at the website oenpublishing. Not currently available through bookshops or on Amazon.

I was privileged to be given access to the former Central Ammunition Depot at Bramley in Hampshire (which closed in 1987) while researching a book on the site. Many buildings (many derelict or semi-derelict) remain together with some disused railway lines that once formed part of a 30+ mile network that criss-crossed the site. A fascinating place with a fascinating history.

If I am allowed to plug my book ... FIRST-EVER BOOK ON THE FORMER CENTRAL AMMUNITION DEPOT BRAMLEY, HAMPSHIRE & ITS EXTENSIVE RAILWAY. LIMITED EDITION AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. Deadline for pre-orders – 4th March, 2023. £38.95 incl. UK P&P.

It covers in detail one of the largest but lesser-known military railways in the United Kingdom as well as the role of the Depot and all key buildings. Born out of the First World War, playing a key role in the Second World War and remaining operational until 1987, little has previously been published on the Bramley Military Railway at the Central Ammunition Depot (CAD) in Bramley, Hampshire. Shrouded in official secrecy, it did not even appear on Ordnance Survey maps until after its closure. Drawing heavily on first-hand accounts and primary sources, this book explains the background to the CAD, its history and role from 1917 to the present day, railway layout (line by line) and operations, all principal buildings and associated sidings, locomotives and rolling stock. A4 hardback. 285 pages. 161 photographs (120 colour & 41 B&W – many previously unpublished), 87 maps, plans and diagrams detailing every aspect of the railway as well as detailed information about the wider history of the Depot and its role.

‘The Secret Railway in the Woods’ by Chris Hegg & Laurence Bindley can be pre-ordered at the website oenpublishing. Not currently available through bookshops or on Amazon.
You'll be pleased to know that I have just ordered a copy of the book. It should complement the
Longmoor Military Railway book, and add to my knowledge of military railways. When I was taking my Movement Control Clerk's course at Longmoor, I would send fictitious deliveries to CAD Bramley.

Hayman you may be interested in joining thew Military Railway Study Group look up MRSG or WW2RSG (our old name) on the web we have loads of info and stories about ex & current military sites as most had rail links either on site or via a siding at a nearby station. TickyH is a member and I hold the group archives as well as being an ex Mover.

Hayman you may be interested in joining thew Military Railway Study Group look up MRSG or WW2RSG (our old name) on the web we have loads of info and stories about ex & current military sites as most had rail links either on site or via a siding at a nearby station. TickyH is a member and I hold the group archives as well as being an ex Mover.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried submitting an application to join online, but there appears to be a fault; I'll try again in a while.

Latest posts

Back