Cane Hill Asylum, Surrey. September 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RA181

Reaction score
On one rather bracing September morning, RA and a fellow exploring friend set off to infiltrate one of the UK's most infamous of loony bins...Cane Hill. Built in 1882, this lumbering "Radiating Pavillion" style asylum has been left derelict and festering for 15 years and has been gnawing away at the darker cavities of my mind for the past 4. Once both my feet were firmly planted in its interior I had time to take stock of the fact that finally...I was in.

Here are the photos...

wardnd6.jpg

filingcabta1.jpg

canehill015ug1.jpg

A sad sight for a musician

phoneaf4.jpg

newspaperroom.jpg

taps.jpg

slippersui9.jpg

mangledxd3.jpg

window.jpg

adminwe6.jpg

chapel.jpg

chapel2xf8.jpg

chapelarcheszq0.jpg

outsidenz3.jpg

caneandtowergb8.jpg

canehilladmin.jpg

A few interesting things about Cane...

-Architect: Charles Henry Howell
-The water tower of the asylum still houses a low-power analogue television repeater belonging to National Grid Wireless.
-Ex patients include: mother of Charlie Chaplin, and the brothers of Michael Caine and David Bowie.
-The original cover of The Man Who Sold The World by Bowie features the administration block of the hospital.
-An attempt to list the buildings in 2006 failed; it did have local interest (in particular the Administration Block and the Chapel) but better examples of early echelon asylums exist. Which is inaccurate as Cane Hill is not an early echelon asylum; it's an unique example of a transitional type, best described as "Radiating Pavillion".
-The hospital is in the middle of the London green belt which has hindered development plans and resulted in the ongoing decay and neglect of the buildings and surrounding area.

Many thanks to a good exploring mate for introducing me to the Hill :)

RA

Last edited:
Excellent pics, RA. Particularly like the window and the door..don't recall seeing those features before. Thanks for the history and info too, as it's always easy to forget or skim over some of the facts which help round out our understanding of a place.

Cheers :)

Thats a great looking place and nice reporting. Its the fact that its been left empty for 15 years that makes it so interesting to us i guess.

Well done.

Nick.

That is a sad sight to see, the piano lying on its back with all the strings and hammers wide open. :cry:

Love that skylight, thats a lovely shot, as is the glass door and the window. Like the date on the front of admin. Lots of shots in your thread that i havent seen at all before. Lovely pics,

Cheers,

:) Sal

Nice one RA ... lol i missed this thread completely! brilliant photos and love the facts... i remember trying to get the newspapers from the time charlie chaplins mother went inside, no such luck!

This is amazing. I would love to shoot here. Where abouts is it in Surrey? And was it easy to get inside? Thanks.

We went back in June to attempt the chapel, we would have done it but were thwarted by a fire engine and fire men on site, there'd obviously been a fire in one of the wards because there looked to be fresh fire damage to the roof

We went back in June to attempt the chapel, we would have done it but were thwarted by a fire engine and fire men on site, there'd obviously been a fire in one of the wards because there looked to be fresh fire damage to the roof

Nope, they keep a fire engine on site to douse the dust down.

V/V and C/C were both fire damaged, I think VV was demolished more recently than C/C

ahh that'd be why then....our route in would've involved going directly across the front of the fire engine with men inside it so we gave up in the end:(

I had a brief wander around yesterday. There is very little left intact of the main complex now aside from admin the water tower, chinmey and the chapel. A small section of Queens/Olave verandah is still standing, as was stub of Salter/Shaftesbury, the old nurse's block with a big hole in the side/roof, and a thin wedge of the centre of Hill/Harvard/Hogarth was being crunched as i watched. One of the back male wards seems to be still standing too, prob Wren/Wesley. I took some pics which i will put up once i've charged the phone i took them on.

Back