Cooper`s Woodside Abattoir, Crich, October 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and thanks concretegarden, that's quite interesting as I have very little idea about the whole process. Thanks!

Wonder how many of you have killed, cleaned and then cooked your own food?

I have. It always amazes me how people are quite happy to cook and eat it, but totally unwilling to even think about where it comes from, let alone do it themselves.

Unfortunately you can only do it yourself with game these days, all domestic livestock have to be sent to abattoir by law now.

Eww, eww eww. The place looks rank! :sick:

Same here. I am filled with deep sadness. :cry: Can't believe that it is humane. The animals must have sensed and smelt death as they were herded in. Good report though, I don't think I could ever do an abatoire. The place does look really grim!

I take it this was an old abattoir. I'm guessing new ones are built to higher standards now. And as concretegarden said it would have looked better when it was in use and being cleaned on a regular basis. I mean, how many derelict buildings do you go into and think "hmm... nice place this. I think I'll sit down and eat my lunch on this soggy rotting floor"? :mrgreen:

It's not just about the building either. It's about how the animals are treated before and after slaughter. It affects the final product so much. Sadly, when you buy your meat you never know if it's come from a good place or one where idiots abuse the animals and have a laugh before/during slaughter.

Without turning this into a meat debate I'll state I do eat it, have seen an abattoir in use and do often think back to where it came from and how it got on my plate. Which doesn't always do a great deal for my appetite at the time!

A bit reminiscent of my visit to Auschwitz. The same vile aura to it. Did anyone else get that feeling ?

Last edited:
In a word,did you kill whilst you were employed there ?

Fantastic! I wish there was one near me, I love it man. Especially the "Hanging Room". Top class:)

In a word,did you kill whilst you were employed there ?

No not me, I`m not a slaughterman, done a bit of most everything else in the meat trade, but not that. Almost did once, but gone too soft in my old age :mrgreen:
Cheers concretegarden

Stop it with the "old age" buisness,youve only got a year on me.......:lol:

wow!! ive just read through this, what a place we used to have a derelict slaugter house a stones throw away we played in it as kids used to love the place for some strange reason. Really gutted its gone would have made a good report excellent write up mate, i want to know more!!!

I really cant see what the fuss is about i love meat always will when your starving and tucking into your sunday roast its the last thing you think about where its come from well i do anyway and someone somewhere has to prepare it for you so i enjoyed the report good pics and informative.

Latest posts

Back