Corngreaves Hall, Cradley Heath, March 08 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find here - I would have walked away hearing foot steps - you never know do you.

Nice find here - I would have walked away hearing foot steps - you never know do you.

It wasn't just footsteps. We were 2 floors up, one way in, and one way out of a boarded up room. Wierd layout this place. We listened as the voices of 3 people came up the stairs towards us. Standing there thinking" Shite, what if it's crackheads?!" When we heard them settling down and opening cans, we were like, "Sod this, they're just bloody drunks" and got out.

Comedy moment was to be had trying to get diluted's camera stuff bag in his bag, with zips making DEAD loud noises, while poo dribbled down my leg. So not fun at the time!!!!!!:lol:

some great images of a building i know very well, shame you have shown several points of entry.

i have been researching and trying to look after this place for a while and it is dissapointiing that it gets so heavily vandalised,
please please remove the points of entry pics and not sdo much info as to where it is.

the pics you have are in the present state before the lead was stolen off the roof, and the ceilings came dow because of the above,

it is also quite possible that you heard me in the area, chasing those teenagers off.
my dog normally gives them quite a scare.
the police also tend to visit there a lot because of the trouble, so be very carefull.[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e40da86977f.jpg]
thum_430347e40da86977f.jpg
[/lb]

[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e40da86977f.jpg]
[/lb]

[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e40da86977f.jpg]
[/lb]

Last edited:
some great images of a building i know very well, shame you have shown several points of entry.

Sorry, but we are careful not to show ANY access. I know for a fact that on that day, there was only one entry and access point, NOT shown in the photo's.
There is not one photo here that show any open points of entry, any shots showing seemingly open points, like that one in the basement are long exposures that let light in through about ground covers!

Back me up diluted!!!!!!

Oh, and you did a great job of scaring those teenagers off. They came in, and only moved on AFTER we made ourselves present to them. I even watched them come out of the building. If you are so sure we've posted access points, please contact a mod with your own photo's to prove we have put up pics of broken boards etc..............

Sorry, but you've really wound me up with this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOME PICS FOR YOU BEFORE THE VANDALISM REALLY STARTED[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e416c43c41e.jpg]
thum_430347e416c43c41e.jpg
[/lb]

[[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e40da86977f.jpg]
[/lb
[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e416c4794e6.jpg]
thum_430347e416c4794e6.jpg
[/lb]

[lb=http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/430347e419681528c.jpg]
thum_430347e419681528c.jpg
[/lb]

SOME PICS FOR YOU BEFORE THE VANDALISM REALLY STARTED

Looks like the vandals had done as much work as I saw when I went in. To be honest, it looks just as good, just a lot darker due to MANY more boards that obviously don't deter people from getting in. If you're so involved with the restoration of this place, why hasn't more happened?

Sorry, but we are careful not to show ANY access. I know for a fact that on that day, there was only one entry and access point, NOT shown in the photo's.
There is not one photo here that show any open points of entry, any shots showing seemingly open points, like that one in the basement are long exposures that let light in through about ground covers!

Back me up diluted!!!!!!

Oh, and you did a great job of scaring those teenagers off. They came in, and only moved on AFTER we made ourselves present to them. I even watched them come out of the building. If you are so sure we've posted access points, please contact a mod with your own photo's to prove we have put up pics of broken boards etc..............

Sorry, but you've really wound me up with this post.

Don't make it personal please.

Although I agree, if there's an issue with showing access etc please PM me with the details.

hey guys, the last thing i want to do is wind any one up !
the hole in the floor is still open, waiting for sandwell to repair.
the cellar skylight (bay) was open for a while, due to idiots.
by going into the flat the area that has smoke damage you where taking a hell of a risk.
the druggies who break in quite often leave sharps in the carpet and stair carpet and inside the two loft hatches at the top. if you looked closely you may have seen them and the tackle they use.
well done for scaring nutters off.
if you want more info ref this place and what is happening i will be glad to let you know.
the west midlands historic buildings trust are in the process of buying the building to restore it to residential use., however as more and more vandalism occurs the cost of the project increases. this summer it should begin.
as for the warning about the police.
i have been looking at this site for a while and noticed that you have a respect for the places you visit. i would not like you to be in a situation where the police become involved with you, due to the fact that there has been so much stuff stolen from the house. example...all the lead off the roof, most of the heating system that had never been fired up.
most of the copper pipe work etc etc.12/18 months ago the building was in fairly good condition, now it is getting to the state possibly of being to far damaged to do anything with.
i am not being personal towards any one nor did i intend to upset any one,
andy

by going into the flat the area that has smoke damage you where taking a hell of a risk.
the druggies who break in quite often leave sharps in the carpet and stair carpet and inside the two loft hatches at the top. if you looked closely you may have seen them and the tackle they use.

You obviously have never been in worse places? The level of drug paraphernalia was VERY low. The burned out area was very clean. We go kitted up to deal with these things, it's part and parcel of the thing we do.
What was a crime, was seeing all those drawings just left in an obviously fire hazard room. Do people need any more reason to torch the place? Crazy! :cry:

If work ever picks up again on this place, it would be great to see it's progression. I've got a bit of a love affair with the building now, so I'd hope to see something done with it after these years of neglect.

:mrgreen:

your right, it is easy to fall in love with the place,
the area i mentioned on last post will be closed and secure by tuesday afternoon, 25 tons concrete poss !
if you decide you want a re-visit within the next day or so let me know.
the plans you saw are from the work that was being carried out by the yts, they rebuilt the place when the roof collapsed during heavy snow.
so if you do decide to go and have another look i will come with you and if you want a set of those plans ........ fine.
they will only be scrapped when building work starts.

its definetly not a set up.
sandwell will be filling in the area at the back that needs sorting out. this will be done tomorow.
that just leaves today for you to go have another look.
i sent you a message with my moby number on. give me a ring.

not too late tho i git four kids lol.
thios is a genuine thought.
andy

So, has anything actually happened, or was all this just a waste of space on our much loved site? :confused: Any pictures of work carried out on Tuesday, or is it still as lifeless as when we visited?

just to back up previous points:

-*no* entry points were shown in the images. from what we saw, there was one entry point, whether going in or out, and that was a squeeze. we never break in or force entry anywhere.

-about 95% of the site was extremely dark and any light images are due to long exposure, flash or light painting. no ceilings were knocked in when we were there.

-virusman and I have been extremely respectful to every site that we have been to. we leave things as they were found, and take nothing. there were things in there that both of us would like to have taken, but we stuck to our morals, and do so in every site.

-we go prepared. torches, back up torches, suitable clothing, strong boots. safety comes before photos.

ghostsandgadget, the only people in the area on that day were Vman and myself, the teenage drinkers, and a transit van full of prisoners picking up litter in the nearby nature reserve.

The present state of this building - is a classic example of what happens, when Local Councils and Groups/Trusts try to 'save' buildings. They act with the best intentions, but unfortunately without the necessary immediate funding. When old buildings become unusable, for their present purpose, they are generally in a poorly maintained condition. Long periods of standing empty, will only lead to terminal decay - especially if you factor in vandalism and theft. Ever increasing funds are then required to preserve the basic structure.

It did not need a genius to work out that five apartments, were not a viable solution for this estate - more new build property was needed. Prior to 2002 there were plenty of examples, where successful conversions had to include new build properties on the estate. There are two beautiful and sympathetic conversions, not one mile from my home, that illustrate this perfectly.

Personal experience would indicate, that it is better to have properties occupied - charging peppercorn rents if necessary - whilst planning is being sorted out. Letting old property stand empty is not an option.

just to back up previous points:

-*no* entry points were shown in the images. from what we saw, there was one entry point, whether going in or out, and that was a squeeze. we never break in or force entry anywhere.

-about 95% of the site was extremely dark and any light images are due to long exposure, flash or light painting. no ceilings were knocked in when we were there.

-virusman and I have been extremely respectful to every site that we have been to. we leave things as they were found, and take nothing. there were things in there that both of us would like to have taken, but we stuck to our morals, and do so in every site.

-we go prepared. torches, back up torches, suitable clothing, strong boots. safety comes before photos.

ghostsandgadget, the only people in the area on that day were Vman and myself, the teenage drinkers, and a transit van full of prisoners picking up litter in the nearby nature reserve.

I have no doubt, don't worry about it.

Back