Cults Limestone Mine, Fife – May 2008.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And finally some of mine (if you'll pardon the pun...)

DSC_2331.jpg

DSC_2337.jpg

DSC_2345.jpg

There is a lot of rockfall from the roof in this part.
DSC_2368.jpg

Following the mini railway tracks.
DSC_2379.jpg

We must go back soon. With string :p

Very nice, Wolfism. I have never done a mine, but as you know I have been to Cults. I woud love to see this. Maybe if I give you a shout next time I'm in the area you could introduce me (or indeed us if Zimbob decides to tag along:))

I live about 5 minutes away (10 since the flash floods and landslides a couple of months ago) so if you want an incompetent, inexperienced and frankly foolhardy guide I'm your man. :mrgreen:

The more I look back the more I'm not convinced we've been back to the same place twice. There are more than a few entrances dotted all along there I think.

More plotting required I think. It certainly has me wanting to spend more time down there. I tend to end up coming away thinking of things I could've and should've done. At the time you tend to get swept up in being there.

Thanks everyone, these are the first underground photos I've taken where I managed to achieve the images I had in my mind's eye. :)

Bryag - you're more than welcome to join us when we go back - and bring along your cohort too. ;)

ps. I had 1km of string with me - but it chose not to participate this time ...

Don't use string in mines, especially not nylon or synthetic string... if you need string you shouldn't really be going in.

Don't use string in mines, especially not nylon or synthetic string... if you need string you shouldn't really be going in.

In what respect? If it's too complex it's too dodgy? Or if you need string you're not sufficiently experienced?

In what respect? If it's too complex it's too dodgy? Or if you need string you're not sufficiently experienced?

If you need string you're not sufficiently experienced, and if it's synthetic it doesn't decompose, it's nasty and a bad trip hazard.

I know nothing about this, but surely one would wind up the string as you follow it back, that way it can be reused. Or maybe that is just the Scot in me:mrgreen:

That's what I would do too, but plenty people down there haven't. I believe even the police left all their string lying at their arse when they were down there.

The correct answer is you map it properly. However, I don't see anything wrong with string as long as you take it back out with you.

How does an experienced mine explorer know where to go? Or, more importantly, how to get back? Inherent mental GPS? Tea lights? Spray paint?

We had a map, but I'm not sure of it's content in the parts we were in, or whether our second entry point, was even marked. String would help us plot a map and become more familiar with a specific section. It's not really as simple as left, right, right, left, fork left etc etc.

The addition of a more experienced miner who's desperate to get back in would help as well ;)

How does an experienced mine explorer know where to go? Or, more importantly, how to get back? Inherent mental GPS? Tea lights? Spray paint?

We had a map, but I'm not sure of it's content in the parts we were in, or whether our second entry point, was even marked. String would help us plot a map and become more familiar with a specific section. It's not really as simple as left, right, right, left, fork left etc etc.

The addition of a more experienced miner who's desperate to get back in would help as well ;)

I'm saying this for a reason...

Cheers.

Obviously it's a free world and people can do what they please, but on this public forum where anyone of any sense/stupidity level can see, I would strongly encourage people to do things the safe way ;)

hi there,the shaft (s) that richard b refered to are vent shafts, there are 4 of them, 3 of them are now capped with these which i made early this year:
DSC01297.jpg
theres one biggy still to do,so i'll probably be back there soon to make another

Back