Drain0r Magazine - It was miasmic

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jondoe-264

Reaction score
Back in the swirling faecal mists of time, a spin-off fanzine relating specifically to drains and draining was published for a very short run of two issues. This would have been circa 2008 - 2009. The second issue of the physical zine was particularly pleasing, being a full colour affair that was (if I say so myself) produced to a reasonably decent standard. The content of both issues was contributed by a contingent of international drain aficionados and is still a good read 14-ish years later.

@wolfism reminding me in another thread prompted me to share the links to the digital versions of both issues, which I made available online a few years back. It's been plenty long enough that the select few who got their hands on physical copies are unlikely to be aggrieved at a digital version being available. Links below:

Drain0r Magazine - Issue 1

Drain0r Magazine - Issue 2

JD

I remember those magazines very well. In fact I've still got my copies, lol. It doesn't bother me at all that others can view them for free personally; one of the good things about today is the ability to make stuff available for more people. I've enjoyed Historic England magazine back issues because they made them free online. Nice one and good to see you again, JD. :)

Back in the swirling faecal mists of time, a spin-off fanzine relating specifically to drains and draining was published for a very short run of two issues. This would have been circa 2008 - 2009. The second issue of the physical zine was particularly pleasing, being a full colour affair that was (if I say so myself) produced to a reasonably decent standard. The content of both issues was contributed by a contingent of international drain aficionados and is still a good read 14-ish years later.

@wolfism reminding me in another thread prompted me to share the links to the digital versions of both issues, which I made available online a few years back. It's been plenty long enough that the select few who got their hands on physical copies are unlikely to be aggrieved at a digital version being available. Links below:

Drain0r Magazine - Issue 1

Drain0r Magazine - Issue 2

JD
I have just read Issue 2 with great interest. A real mixture of history, engineering information and tangible enthusiasm for sewer exploration.

I've now read Issue 1, with equal interest. The engineering expertise needed for Victorian era sewer construction - with none of today's electrically/hydraulically powered machinery - has to be admired. Mostly hard graft, shift after shift, week after week.

The reports by the explorers also show what it is like to get into and walk through functioning sewers. Thanks to digital photography, it is possible to record how the sewers look today with good results.

Thank you, Jondoe-264, for providing the link to the two issues of DrainOr Magazine.
Any chance of seeing other editions of this well-put-together publication?

I have just read Issue 2 with great interest. A real mixture of history, engineering information and tangible enthusiasm for sewer exploration.

I've now read Issue 1, with equal interest. The engineering expertise needed for Victorian era sewer construction - with none of today's electrically/hydraulically powered machinery - has to be admired. Mostly hard graft, shift after shift, week after week.

The reports by the explorers also show what it is like to get into and walk through functioning sewers. Thanks to digital photography, it is possible to record how the sewers look today with good results.

Thank you, Jondoe-264, for providing the link to the two issues of DrainOr Magazine.
Any chance of seeing other editions of this well-put-together publication?
I would love to produce another issue and definitely wouldn't rule it out . . . one day. It is a massive undertaking though, from co-ordinating all the content from contributors, to design and editing, etc. Maybe a twenty year anniversary issue in 2028! LOL! :O

I would love to produce another issue and definitely wouldn't rule it out . . . one day. It is a massive undertaking though, from co-ordinating all the content from contributors, to design and editing, etc. Maybe a twenty year anniversary issue in 2028! LOL! :O
I understand how big a job it would be. I have written illustrated articles for Land Rover magazines and railway society journals - and that's enough for me. What came over in the two issues was the enthusiasm the explorers have for their hobby, and how wide-ranging geographically and otherwise were the articles. The photos were of a high standard too.

Latest posts

Back