Fujitsu - Stevenage - July 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UE-OMJ

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

This is the OLD fujitsu building (STE09) in Sunny Stevenage. A good few years ago Fujitsu relocated into a different building in Stevenage, but I'm finding it really difficult to track down any information on when and why this happened. I have an old friend who I believe still works for Fujitsu and used to work in the old building, I'm trying to contact them incase they can give me any more details.

Visited with Urban Ghost.

This place has been empty for ages, with an 'Office To Let' sign on it, it's right in the middle of town and right opposite the police station. I guess thats why it's been ignored for so long, and it appeared to be waiting for new tennants and therefore not abandoned.

However, todays visit shows the place to have been stripped bare, most metalwork is gone from under sinks, etc, the place is bare and leaking and not in any condition at all for new tennants :( Nothing left to steal in there so no need to hide the identity.

mini-1.jpg

mini-2.jpg

The main entrance...

mini-30.jpg

Straight up 8 flights of stairs to the roof... Not a great start to the day in 'Sunny' Stevenage...

mini-3.jpg

The machine room on the roof, lots of old machines in here, all sitting silent now...

mini-4.jpg

mini-5.jpg

mini-6.jpg

The main office building...

mini-7.jpg

Each floor had one of these strange double doors, both doors open outwards!

mini-8.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

mini-9.jpg

mini-10.jpg

mini-11.jpg

mini-12.jpg

mini-13.jpg

Thank god the railings are still there, it's a long way down...

mini-14.jpg

mini-15.jpg

mini-16.jpg

mini-17.jpg

No explore is complete with out our little flying friends...

mini-18.jpg

mini-19.jpg

Stevenages famous '6 Hills'
(Some history on these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Hills )

mini-20.jpg

mini-21.jpg

Nice shower, with view of the railway. Nice for the commuters I guess...?

mini-22.jpg

mini-23.jpg

mini-24.jpg

mini-25.jpg

mini-26.jpg

mini-27.jpg

mini-28.jpg

Lots of these queuing up to escape. Hmmm, should pressurised containers be left by a window in possible direct sunlight?

mini-29.jpg

mini-31.jpg

mini-32.jpg

mini-34.jpg

There was a nice little garden area in the centre of the building, complete with pond...

mini-35.jpg

mini-36.jpg

mini-37.jpg

mini-38.jpg

mini-39.jpg

mini-40.jpg

I guess no-one liked this picture enough to take it with them when they left...

mini-41.jpg

And one last trip back to the roof since the weather had improved a bit.
This is a view of Stevenage's Leisure Park...

mini-42.jpg

And a shot of the Stevenage Police Station, right opposite where we were... :mrgreen:
Behind that (L to R) is the Train Station and the Gordon Craig Theatre...

mini-43.jpg

There were so many more photos I would liked to have shown, especially the views from the top. But this isnt really what the forum is about so I've had to cut them right down.

Hope you enjoyed - ok it was basically an empty building, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was peaceful, with nice views and something from my home town :)

UE-OMJ

The 'thing' in pic 10 is probably a heat detector. The red sheathed 'pyro' or Mineral Insulated cable (MICC) tends to indicate it is part of the fire alarm system and it does not appear to be a smoke detector, which is why I think it is a heat detector.

Shame it's left empty really considering it's size :( Shame you didnt have the best weather for the roof views either!!

Shame it's left empty really considering it's size :( Shame you didnt have the best weather for the roof views either!!

We did at the end - the hardest part was getting Urban Ghost to climb back up the stairs for another look. Unfit sod ;)

Very apt having plod next door, cos it's a criminal waste of a building.

Completely Epic photos, the stairway was an interesting shot, reminded me of the "Buried" Poster :)

Fantastic stuff dude! I have to say, I would have been shattered climbing all those stairs too! :lol:

Cheers for posting!

Pretty mint considering this has been empty for so long...

Nice pictures there fella :yes:

I have to say, I would have been shattered climbing all those stairs too! :lol:

Urban Ghost can verify this, the second trip to the top I ran the lot. Mind you I could barely walk when I got to the top! :lol:

Another cracking report as all ways mate, loved the photos, and being on your doorstep made it even better !!!

Nice, I bet there's some nice night time shots to be had from that roof fella :)

Do you know I'd not even thought about night time views. I'm going to have to head back now aint I :lol: At least it's not far to go.

Must remember to turn my flash off as it's right near the police station :mrgreen:

Does anyone know why it seems to be common practice to collect all the fire extinguishers together like that?

Is it just me or does anyone remember this bit from the film 'I, Robot'....

Cromwell's character asks "Why when in the dark do robots always seek the light? When stored in containers, why do robots almost always stand together?"

...this just reminded me so much of that scene. Maybe they all just needed to huddle together by the window :) I can just imagine them all not wanting to stand in the corner of their individual rooms anymore and gathering by the light in a social group.

Latest posts

Back