GE, Thorn Lighting Leicester Jan 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the report MD and Goldie.

I have a tale to tell on the med school, see my entry on [ame="http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showpost.php?p=183997&postcount=12"]LE's post here[/ame].

Thanks for prompt response Matt. Had a look at your Flickr catalogue. It appears you are recording the demise of the industrial heart of the East Midlands area based on the number of factories you have posts for.

I like the east midlands factory entry uploaded last summer. Lots of colour and constrast in the pics, as well as the subject itself being an interesting find. I expect DP would appreciate a posting of these with the usual history profile up front. Looks like it was built in the Victorian era to me, but maybe its a sensitive site :question:

Brings back memories

I worked for GE Thorn Lighting up to 1993 and spent about a year working at that Leicester factory, organising the installation of high speed lamp making lines that had been removed from the Merthyr factory and the Preston factory which GE closed down. Was based in the Enfield factory at the time, that is all gone now as well :0(. Another sad case of a US Multi National buying a UK manufacturing company and progressively destroying it.:0(

Thanks for prompt response Matt. Had a look at your Flickr catalogue. It appears you are recording the demise of the industrial heart of the East Midlands area based on the number of factories you have posts for.

I like the east midlands factory entry uploaded last summer. Lots of colour and constrast in the pics, as well as the subject itself being an interesting find. I expect DP would appreciate a posting of these with the usual history profile up front. Looks like it was built in the Victorian era to me, but maybe its a sensitive site :question:

Which one,s that mate ?
I put most of my stuff on derp so it might already be on here

Ah cheers
The place has gone downhill really badly over the past few months
And the owners have been served notice to tidy the building up etc
If your interested in taking a look pm me ill message you details
:)

I drove by earlier and they have started demo on some of the out buildings btw! Not sure what is next :neutral:

is this the place that at grimbo had a massive lights display? remember as a kid we used to drive over to leicester and go up melton road and you knowe you where there when you seen a big factory was on your left:confused:

is this the place that at grimbo had a massive lights display? remember as a kid we used to drive over to leicester and go up melton road and you knowe you where there when you seen a big factory was on your left:confused:

Indeed it is the place that you are thinking of.

I drove by earlier and they have started demo on some of the out buildings btw! Not sure what is next :neutral:

It's more than that - the entire factory complex is being ripped apart at the moment.

I was there a couple of nights back, went in round the back past huge piles of rubble, and the rear of the factory floor has been totally ripped off. Big piles of metal and the smell of demolition everywhere. Upstairs in the labs, the ones on the west side (right hand side on the 2007 photo above) are still intact but the ones on the front of the factory are all totally stripped back ready for demolition.

Been popping down every week to see the progress on demolition, went down yesterday and they were still busy ripping it apart even on a sunday.

DSC0000207.jpg

just about to go for a walk around it now have another look. they start on it at like 6am every morning as it wakes me up grrr lol

Wonder what happened to the on site fire engine? It was a 1950's short wheelbase Landrover, which when I was working there in the early 1990's, was in very nice condition, but with faded red paintwork, but only a couple of thousand miles on the clock, due to it having never been off of the site:cool:

also just found out that they are working from so early because all the builders are sleeping there aswell. 6 till 6...

Back