Harcourt sands

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos. I grew up nearby and had school trips here. I remember the purple pineapple!

Hi all

I actually worked at Harcourt Sands in the Entertainments department at the end of the 1992 summer season. I'd just finished a season in Cornwall and Harcourt was short of someone for the last few weeks of their slightly longer opening.

It had apparently been two holiday centres merged into one and, at that time, operated by Warners. The clientelle were a bit older than I had been used to with more retired people and fewer young families, although there was still a Fun Factory kids' club.

The "Mad Hatter" pictured here is a place I remember but wasn't allowed to go into as part of a policy against the entertainments staff being seen doing things like drinking and smoking on our off-duty hours.

The rest of the staff had a deep-seated hatred of the entertainments dept. I never found out why, but it was clearly firmly in place long before I got there! We were seen as outcasts by the other departments - again not at all what I had been used to from working in other holiday centres.

Anyway, I wasn't there long, just a few weeks. Nobody seemed to be enjoying themselves, staff or guests, and there was a bit of an atmosphere about the place that I didn't like. In fact, these photos seem to demonstrate the way the place felt to me when it was open!

Still, it's a shame to see holiday centres closing. There's still a place for them if they concentrate on giving guests a great holiday.

Latest posts

Back