Help identifying an object

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate its abit of a crappy thread, but just something that was bugging me, and also the people who found it. Unfortunately i dont have much more to add to what i've already posted.

I guess it may remain a mystery

Have you got a pic of the front? I just spent an hour with the kids at sandown peir looks like the lower body of an old 2p slot machine??

I'm about 92% sure on this!!

You young pups won't have a clue what I'm on about either!!!

Take yourself back to the old green grocers in the 70's & 80's this would have been full of lets say muddy potatoes that would have rolled to the front and when the green grocer got his big metal scoop from the scales and filled it with spuds then the ones behind it would fall into the bottom using the magic of gravity!!!

Appreciate its abit of a crappy thread, but just something that was bugging me, and also the people who found it. Unfortunately i dont have much more to add to what i've already posted.

I guess it may remain a mystery

Actually it's improved a bit now others are chiming in. :);)

Only trouble is, it's bugging the hell out of me too now. Thanks for sharing. (ironic smilie currently unavailable)

I'm about 92% sure on this!!

You young pups won't have a clue what I'm on about either!!!

Take yourself back to the old green grocers in the 70's & 80's this would have been full of lets say muddy potatoes that would have rolled to the front and when the green grocer got his big metal scoop from the scales and filled it with spuds then the ones behind it would fall into the bottom using the magic of gravity!!!
I have a suspicion that you are on the right track Nelly. Something very familiar about it, which has been nagging me. The cut outs in the sides are places for two people to put hands in (one each side) and lift it into position each day.:idea:

"You do know I'm only getting involved at all cos I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment and the happy pills are just kicking in, right?". :lol::lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean......annoying but strangely addicting thread.....believe it or not I have e mailed my contact list on this and come up with.............sod all!

I have a suspicion that you are on the right track Nelly. Something very familiar about it, which has been nagging me. The cut outs in the sides are places for two people to put hands in (one each side) and lift it into position each day.:idea:

Ive been watching this thread and something about it was nagging at the back of my mind that i'd seen these somewhere before. I also think this is the right track. It seems to be there in my vision of the greengrocers 'ralphs veg shop' from my home village as a kid. That and the big jar of Mojos he had, at 1/2p each (banana were the best!)

"You do know I'm only getting involved at all cos I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment and the happy pills are just kicking in, right?". :lol::lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean......annoying but strangely addicting thread.....believe it or not I have e mailed my contact list on this and come up with.............sod all!

Yep. I now believe I've looked at more Google images of Greengrocer display stands than is healthy for me.

I can honestly say that it's either a hoover voover valve or a woggle toggle switch. :sick:

Head doing in! Now available to view on www.thisiscornwall.co.uk...
Someone in the South West must know...

what.png

This definitely goes down as one of the more bizarre threads on here ever...

Yes, but on the plus side, nobody has spotted an orb yet.

Definitely looks upside down to me. You can see rivulets of paint by what looks like the hand holes. If it were the right way up, I imagine that it would a) have been painted internally too, and b) been painted more carefully. The drips suggest a mindset of "it's ok, nobody will see this bit".

I just put it on my FB page ;)

Help me, WTF am I doing???

I think its 90deg out. The right hand end is actually the bottom. It would have stood against a wall, the metal bars sticking out (currently down) would have held pricing labels and rollers with rolls of carrier bags on. Sacks of veg (5lb spuds usually) or loose veg would have been stacked on it, and as they were removed the remainder would flow down by gravity to the bottom.

Thats what my murky memory says, i could well be wrong

This is getting out of control ! i never expected a response, but thanks for all the suggestions to far, keep them coming !

I'm gonna be needing a rope and an attic if this turns out to actually be a feckin' spud dispenser.

Were they lined with that artificial grass matting stuff.

See, now I wanna know it's history and everything. :sick:

I'm gonna be needing a rope and an attic if this turns out to actually be a feckin' spud dispenser.

Were they lined with that artificial grass matting stuff.

See, now I wanna know it's history and everything. :sick:

Lol, don't go doing anything stupid fella, its only a thread ;)

:mrgreen:

Whats on the underside? I mean is it upside down?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back