High Royds Hospital. Menston. Leeds.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Hill

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Pennine Chain. Land of Clogs, Flat Caps and Dr
High Royds! The former Psychiatric Hospital that was formerly known as The West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum when first opened in 1888.

HIGHROYDS1.jpg

Now normally I would have started this report with a shot of the famous admin from the main drive! But this was a spur of the moment visit after doing Murphy's Machinery just up the road. Apart from time limits, the secca were active on our exit so thought sod it. A good excuse to return then :)

hr2.jpg

It's a massive site covering 300 acres. A lot has already been converted to housing, but parts of it are still as is and awaiting conversion. This is of course good news as far as the likes of us are concerned ;)

high7.jpg

The main corridors of the admin block consists of fine Italian marble floors and mosaics. And the glazed tiles were made locally.

HIGHROYDS9.jpg

HIGHROYDS13.jpg

HIGHROYDS10.jpg

I would just love to see these superb floors cleaned up.

HIGHROYDS11.jpg

Stained Glass in reception. A testament to the superb Architecture that's evident throughout.

HIGHROYDS14.jpg

Tudor style paneling in the boardroom.

hr21.jpg

Eerie corridors. If only they could talk.

HIGHROYDS12.jpg

HIGHROYDS6.jpg

HIGHROYDS3.jpg

The beautiful ballroom.

HIGHROYDS5.jpg

Stripped out kitchens.

HIGHROYDS2.jpg

Pharmacy.

hr34-1.jpg

Paint decay.

hr13.jpg

Onward and upwards.

HIGHROYDS19.jpg

HIGHROYDS20.jpg

And the impressive clock tower.

hr28.jpg

HIGHROYDS17.jpg

That's it folks.

HIGHROYDS21.jpg

And before I go..... The Morgue is now sealed and minus the slab. This was removed and taken to the Stanley Royd Museum Wakefield. I so wanted to see it in situ. So the inevitable trip out to the museum had to be done.

Touching the cold smooth marble made me smile :)

sr9.jpg

If like me, you are interested in the history of High Royds! Then I found this site very informative.

http://www.forlornbritain.co.uk/highroyds.php

I hope to return soon :)

nice shots. I must say, I'm suprised at the state of the floor in the admin corridor. I would have thought it to be in a better condition especially the black daisy/white rose mosaic. They must have spent quite a bit sandblasting the building and repairing the roof.

nice shots. I must say, I'm suprised at the state of the floor in the admin corridor. I would have thought it to be in a better condition especially the black daisy/white rose mosaic. They must have spent quite a bit sandblasting the building and repairing the roof.

The mosaics really are beautiful mate. I shall go armed with the old cleaning materials next time :) And there's building equipment everywhere.

Thanks all for the comments :)

Latest posts

Back