I've not done one of these for a while! ***IMAGE INTENSIVE***

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean what does it feel like to be stood on the deck holding onto the hand rail being almost weightless? How does it feel to use that ladder to pull yourself DOWN headfirst to the level below?

Well... simply being there on this particular wreck wasn't a consideration feelings wise because it was a deliberate sinking for tourism and it has so little history. But being inside for example the Imperial Japanese Navy Ship Akitsushima is very different. I remember swimming along a corridor in Akitsu and noticing that the deck of the corridor was ruptured upwards. That of course made me think. Given that the wreck lies on her starboard side the "floor" was actually now the wall and the significance of the rupture wasn't immediately obvious. Then the penny dropped - I was looking at the result of an explosion beneath the deck and the blast had ripped the steel plate upwards like paper. Clearly the bomb had penetrated the hull from the side, run in under this part of the corridor and exploded there because there was no entry hole close by - I spotted that, and many others whilst swimming along the port side of the hull later. My thoughts turned to the hell that must have erupted in that corridor and the effect it would have had on anyone there. Then I began to consider the fact that I was literally swimming through history and I found that I could visualise incredibly clearly what had happened.

Sometimes though the loss of life in a wreck can make one feel quite edgy or sad - in Truk Lagoon the local Micronesian dive guides have gathered up sailor's bones and put them on to an operating table and here my feelings verged on revulsion that they could stoop so low as to create a tourist "attraction" from dead sailor's bones.:mad:

I also remember much the same sorts of situational visualisation running through my head whilst swimming inside one of the Scapa Flow's German WW1 scuttled warship wrecks - I could almost see the waters surging up the corridors as the mighty ship slipped slowly beneath the water.

That's the kinds of thoughts I experience on wrecks with any history. :)

As to the orientation thing... that gets a bit weird sometimes. You have to think out of the box a bit to navigate your way through a wreck and using ladders or catwalks to pull oneself down, up, sideways even, is very common so after a short while it just becomes second nature and not anything unusual.

Irako_01.jpg

The right orientation...

Irako_fullsize_09.jpg

...and the wrong orientation!

It makes it fun basically but it can also get incredibly confusing too!

And being weightless is simply sublime. It's not something you take for granted when using a rebreather because you ignore it at your peril then but when diving on scuba the whole buoyancy thing can be fun. I love dropping like a stone and then "putting the breaks on" with my buoyancy compensation device whilst trying not to impact with the seabed. Then other times you can simply hover over something completely motionless - then the clearer the water the better because you get a definite impression of flying. We swam along the flight deck of the USS Saratoga (BELOW) and experienced "take off" as we swam off the end, only to find sharks directly below us... woop woop!

USS_Saratoga_CV3.jpg

Sara_40.jpg

Absolutely accurate buoyancy control was a major consideration inside the Irako because any contact with the deck resulted in an instant "Brown out" - basically all light dissapeared ina second or two to be replaced with what I can only imagine would be the sensation of swimming in Oxtail soup. Very dangerous and very unpleasant. Buoyancy though is a major part of what you learn as a diver - becoming positively buoyant is one of the quickest ways to end your diving career and probably your life - so we all pay close attention to being absolutely neutral at all times apart from during descent where we aim to be just slightly negative until we are close to target depth.

Blimey, are these still attracting interest? I'll do you another shortly if so. Thanks guys.

Your reports on this subject will always attract interest because they are well written, well photographed and the technical stuff is pitched at just the right level for those who keep their bodies above water. As somebody who did all their diving in the 1960's/70's I find your modern equipment very interesting. Not sure where I stand on your comments re access holes being cut for safety reasons - I know the Scapa Flow wrecks are not what you were talking about, but during a dive on SMS Dresden in the early 70's a diver who had joined us for the dive died after becoming trapped/lost. Sadly nobody was able to reach him in time, so my views are somewhat coloured by this event. Do post some more of your dives, they make a very refreshing change from pictures of decaying chairs and paintwork!

As somebody who did all their diving in the 1960's/70's I find your modern equipment very interesting. Not sure where I stand on your comments re access holes being cut for safety reasons - I know the Scapa Flow wrecks are not what you were talking about, but during a dive on SMS Dresden in the early 70's a diver who had joined us for the dive died after becoming trapped/lost.

Wow... thanks. Erm... with respect to the "modern equipment" we use, I was actually taught to dive in 1979 and back then we still used twin hose regs, BCs and had to do an A Test, many of those attempting would fail repeatedly. I then taught my wife TJ as her instructor during the early months of the 1990 and the only real difference for her was a top of the range single hose reg! We had a lay off for several years due to circumstances and then resumed falling head long into technology which we had to learn from scratch, and intensively - for example we had come into the use of dive computers long after they'd been accepted and were second nature to most divers whilst we still relied on a watch and table set!!! But the technology has allowed us to build on our existing skills, enhancing them and in some cases rendering them redundant. Increasingly though modern kit is relying more and more on sophisticated electronics and delicate sensors, many of which I have yet to convince myself totally are up to such a robust set of environmental considerations! As a result of our scepticism we do tend rather to carry belt, braces, string AND chewing gum!

The access hole issue pertains to the HMS Scylla in the sea off Plymouth, sanitised and sunk specifically for divers. A sterile, boring "tin can" frankly. There is also a great degree of this phenomenon apparent in Maltese waters having appeared relatively recently. Now having once been hung up in a sand induced brown out in the dark (a night dive) not once but twice on the same dive, I can attest that the very few "original wrecks" around Malta were not particularly safe! The other "original wreck" there is the submarine HMS Stubborn - she has been untouched until relatively recently, and then only because mixed gas diving - banned totally in my first years as a diver - has become a lot more common place. Sadly, even using big twin sets we only had a few minutes on the wreck and had to deco for nearly 3/4 hour on a line with a special high o2 ratio deco mix in a slung rig! But narcs alone would have rendered that wreck impossible until very much my most recent diving years.

As with all things, technology moves on... and I'm right thankful for that!

This is such a good post!
I really want to get into diving, top post! :D

Cheers dude! Perhaps it's a bout time I dug out some more of the wet urbex back catalogue then! ;)

And yeah... you really should get into diving, come on, what's stopping you??? You know it makes sense Rodney! :) :p

My earliest memory of scuba was a really deep dive on the stairs at our terraced in Bury using a washing up liquid bottle strapped to my back and some PVC tube in my mouth as my aqualung - oh the power of the imagination of a 7 year old! :lol:

Nice to see something completely different from the usual. Great pictures as well! :)

TeeJF My earliest memory of scuba was a really deep dive on the stairs at our terraced in Bury using a washing up liquid bottle strapped to my back and some PVC tube in my mouth as my aqualung - oh the power of the imagination of a 7 year old! :lol:[/QUOTE said:
Yes and I'll bet it was after watching "Sea hunt" with Lloyd Bridges or Hans and Lotti Hass on the telly :) Me Too! (you can still see Seahunt on Youtube!)

Latest posts

Back