McMullenns Brewery/Hertford/Nov 2011 + a couple of smaller explores

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumice

Reaction score
In November, I visited McMullens Brewery with a non-member. Its a beautiful building with easy access and some high places for those that like that kind of thing. With a large ladder perched in the eves that offers roof access and a view of what appears to be the pleasant town of Hertford.

Unfortunately, our explore was cut short by the old bill and as a result the explore was ended. We decided to pop in to the local pub and thank McMullens and thank them by drinking a few pints in their local pub! :) Due to the explore being cut short, I don't have a massive amount of shots, so have decided to make this a long report of around 4 locations in total. The smaller explores don't warrant a whole report on their own, so it seemed a sensible option. (I hope this is ok mods?)

The history of McMullens is long and the building itself has a lovely clock tower and sits in the old part of Hertford itself. McMullens was founded in 1827 in Railway Street, Hertford. As the business grew larger it moved first to Mill Bridge in 1832 and then to Old Cross in 1891. A modern brewhouse was built in 1984. In 2002, the business was valued at £176m. In the mid 2000s the company had a narrow escape from closure as the controlling family split between those shareholders who wanted to receive a reasonable dividend and those who wanted to reinvest annual profits into the company and keep dividends very low. David McMullen stepped down as Chairman following an unsuccessful attempted management buyout. A new independent Chairman, Charles Brims, produced a compromise whereby several non-brewing property investments were sold to release cash to appease the majority shareholders and a plan was launched to build a brand new, smaller brewhouse. The company decided to shed contract-brewing and take advantage of tax breaks by becoming a smaller brewer. As the new 'Whole Hop Brewery' (opened 2006) was much more compact than the 1984-built site the spare land was sold to Sainsbury's. They are presently in the process of converting and building on the back of the site so Hertford residents can shop in the familiar, ubiquitous surroundings frequented by nearly all of us these days!

On with the photos........................................

McMullensBrewery14of14.png

McMullensBrewery9of14.png

McMullensBrewery4of14.png

McMullensBrewery11of14.png

McMullensBrewery10of14.png

McMullensBrewery3of14.png

McMullensBrewery13of14.png

McMullensBrewery8of14.png

McMullensBrewery6of14.png

McMullensBrewery12of14.png

McMullensBrewery7of14.png

Disused Office Block/Bromley By Bow/Dec 2011

I cannot find any history on this and to be honest the structure itself is a run of the mill utilitarian construction. However, I wanted to visit after visiting the area and seeing it sitting tall next to the A12 and thought there may be some roof access and views of the city and the olympic park. I visited late in the afternoon and awaited sundown with very cold hands! The views from the roof were not spectacular but I did get some interesting shots from the interior and thought them pretty interesting.

footballtournament1of1-5-3.png

footballtournament1of1-3-3.png

footballtournament1of1-4-3.png

footballtournament1of1-21.png

footballtournament1of1-2-2.png

footballtournament1of1-7-2.png

And the way out............

footballtournament1of1-6-2.png

Old Masters House/Warwick/Nov 2011

Visited this place whilst bored and at home visiting my parents. The site itself is that of the old Warwick Leper Hospital. This tarpaulin glad ramshackle, wooden beamed house and the chapel are all that remain on the site. They are both grade 2 listed.The Master’s House dates from the 15th century and is one of very few surviving Leper Hospitals in the country. The building is recognised by English Heritage as being a “Building at Risk” in their latest 2000 register. It is vacant and in poor condition . St Michael’s
Church was built as the chapel for the Leper Hospital, also in the 15th century. It is currently vacant however has received restoration work in recent years. A planning permission was submitted on this site in 1991(3). Following much discussion and changes to the proposals, permission for refurbishment and conversion of both existing buildings to offices and the erection of ten dwellings was refused in 1999. The reasons for this were that the access proposals were detrimental to highway safety, that the site was overdeveloped and that the development would be detrimental to the setting of the listed building.

Due to the building being shrouded in tarp and not exactly huge, I neglected to take any exterior shots. It was also a very wet day!

footballtournament1of1-8-2.png

footballtournament1of1-9-1.png

footballtournament1of1-11-1.png

footballtournament1of1-10-2.png

footballtournament1of1-12-1.png

Fords Foundry/Leamington Spa/November 2011

Visited this site on the same day as the masters house and was extraordinarily excited to get in as I passed the working foundry on my way to school everyday for 5 years and always wanted to have a look inside. Unfortunately, after finding a route in and taking eh pictures you see here, I was immediately busted by an odd bunch of security guards who were hasty in ejecting me. The site is mid-demo and wont be around too much longer. A large Morrisons is to be built there.

A little history.AFTER more than a century dominating a section of the Leamington skyline, the former Ford foundry site is now being demolished.

A total of 126 years of manufacturing at the Old Warwick Road foundry came to a close in July 2007 after the site lost a major contract to Eastern European competitors.

Since then the dormant site has declined rapidly. On our last visit in early 2010 it was eerily silent for a place once bustling with hundreds of workers every day. Walls had crumbled, doors rotted, and pools of rain water were prominent. An abandoned workman's glove here, black soot everywhere, were among the reminders of a proud manufacturing past.

Demolition, along with decontamination, has now started and is expected to be completed by April.

New life will then be breathed into the 19 acre site with a scheme for a new Morrison supermarket, a hotel, a mix of offices and homes, car parking spaces, woodland and about 1.5km of new cycle routes and public footpaths, a masterplan which could ultimately provide up to 1,200 new jobs.

The shots I got...................

footballtournament1of1-13-1.png

footballtournament1of1-14-1.png

footballtournament1of1-15-1.png

Sorry for the length of the report and I hope you stayed with it, but like I said seemed a good way of making something worthwhile for posting. I hope you enjoyed it........

Love it. Ive started to put 3-4 explores together with a soundtrack as a vid. I find I'm way more likely to watch that than wander through 4 folders of photos.

Fantastic shots from all four sir, hope everything worked out with the fuzz.

Bromley by Bow

Nice to see this at last. Iv'e made several reccys in the past but lost bottle due to the proximity of the car rental place by the gates.
the building was the head office of a construction company for years, I think it was Kind & Co but not 100% sure.Did anything inside point to this?

Nice stuff fella.

That Mc Mullen brewery is PIR'd to the max, you done good to get what you did :)

Nice stuff fella.

That Mc Mullen brewery is PIR'd to the max, you done good to get what you did :)

Cheers Nelly. A bit gutted really, cause there was loads we didn`t see! Old bill were pleasant really, they just moved us on. We were happy to oblige!

Nice to see this at last. Iv'e made several reccys in the past but lost bottle due to the proximity of the car rental place by the gates.
the building was the head office of a construction company for years, I think it was Kind & Co but not 100% sure.Did anything inside point to this?

Thank you Old Git. Its good to get a bit of info on the buliding. The inside was trashed and I couldn`t really see anything indicating former usage. The place was trashed and there was evidence of a few rough sleepers in the building and drug use. I didn`t really want to delve to deep in the mess. But, as I say thanks for teh info, appreciated!

Latest posts

Back