Shredded wheat factory..welwyn garden city

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I* can't believe that it is like that now. I used to work there on the Shredded Wheat ovens. I met my wife there. I worked there during the "Winter of Discontent", we were lucky to have full employment. It is so sad to see it in such a state.

I* can't believe that it is like that now. I used to work there on the Shredded Wheat ovens. I met my wife there. I worked there during the "Winter of Discontent", we were lucky to have full employment. It is so sad to see it in such a state.
It's always nice to hear from people who have worked at a place..must bring back memories for you..prob makes you sad though looking at the state of it now though

Worked there for 25 years upto it's closing made some live long friends there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I live near the town, and I've lived here for almost nine years now i think, and I've wanted to know what it looks like in the Shredded Wheat factory so bad! Im so glad i was able to see this. I find the building absolutely stunning, especially its exterior. Its such a shame that they are considering knocking it down and replacing it with something else.

I worked here for 3 happy years of my working life. It makes me really quite sad to see it I such a state, it was quite a thing to see it when it was full of production lines churning out tonnes of cereal every single day.

The first picture is looking down the main packing area, where they used to box up big biscuit shredded wheat, shreddies, all the small biscuit varieties, and bran flakes. To the right would be where all the toasting ovens were. It was a very busy and bustling workplace in its prime.

I've also lived in the town all my life, and makes me equally as sad to see how they have let it go, all to give them an excuse to knock it down and build yet more stuff that we don't need.

It's high time they sort it out. It's getting more and more dangerous every day and worries me greatly that children are getting in there, only a matter of time before something happens that we all dread.

Thanks for posting the pictures, was very interesting.

Nice to hear the interesting stories from you ex workers and glad the pictures brought back memories

I did read the whole circumstances of it shutting was a bit dodgy and controversial..involving money for the land.but ain't that always the case..I believe it all got relocated near to bath.

That's right, there are other factories in Staverton and also Bromborough in the Wirral, they shared the products that were made in WGC between them.

Aw mate these pics are epic! The reflections in pic 1 are incredible! Really good work!

Nice set, i like the fire alarm on the pillar with the rust runs!

Sadly those rust runs are an indication as to why this place will be a costly conversion. It appears the concrete 'cladding' was added during the first ten years of the building's life - in an effort to stop the base plates of the steel pillars corroding. Knowing of the anti-corrosion methods available then, I doubt the weathering process was fully halted.

Grand set of images here, and thanks for the telling exteriors!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys..this went a bit viral.with over twenty five thousand views in two days.which is surprising as it is an empty building what has been around a while

I wondered what happened to this place. Some of my old neighbours worked there. They gave me a box of cookie crisp before it was released :p

When I was at school I used to be able to smell the factory. We used to say it smelt like dog biscuits.

Thanks for the comments guys..this went a bit viral.with over twenty five thousand views in two days.which is surprising as it is an empty building what has been around a while

It is all over facebook locally. I found it a 2am and fell asleep while reading it thus went there in my dreams it was pretty fun.

Hi,i really like the photos, i recently started exploring derelict buildings with my friends. but the only problem is where i am a 15 year old boy when we get caught we get in a lot of trouble, i was also just wondering where about in welwyn this is as i would love to explore and see the astonishing views that you see in the pictures also i recently came across an abandoned pigfarm in fairfield i am currently trying to research its history but i have still no result, your pictures inspire me.

P.S. keep up the great photography, and stay safe! :)

Great set of pics. #1 is the winner.
So good to see former workers joining the forum to comment too!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Latest posts

Back