Square Spinney Tunnel, Leicestershire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thurnby tunnel

hello

ill first confirm its most deffinetly NOT the Glenfield tunnel as its on the opposite side on Leicester just beyond Scraptoft down Covet Lane

not long after the line was closed my great uncle owned the surrounding land and the tunnel itself unfortunatly it was him that had the far end filled in, on a previous trip i have walked over land and pin pointed where the other portal should of been and theres no trace of it

the line heads off towards tilton just before it reaches tilton it splits and one line heads Ford Skegness via the tilton cutting (jurrasic fossiles can be found there)

Lowesby_map.jpg

you can see where the line splits here, also covered all the line here as know the land owner

DSCF0090-1.jpg

me on a previous visit below the vent shaft

DSCF0011.jpg

where the portal at the other end once was

no point me posting any more pictures as there all pretty simular ;)

Hi

went for a walk with my dad the other week so see the tunnel, I used to play in it as a kid, it has changed a bit, its now not so overgrown, and it looks like the coop farm has made a track down to the trackbed for vehicles, part of the trackbed is now a footpath, manged to take a few photos, won't bother uploading them as they are the same. Any idea why the other end was backfilled, there is a urban myth that the tunnel is haunted, mmmm, was that just invented just to scare the kids away, it didn't work very well.

Hi

went for a walk with my dad the other week so see the tunnel, I used to play in it as a kid, it has changed a bit, its now not so overgrown, and it looks like the coop farm has made a track down to the trackbed for vehicles, part of the trackbed is now a footpath, manged to take a few photos, won't bother uploading them as they are the same. Any idea why the other end was backfilled, there is a urban myth that the tunnel is haunted, mmmm, was that just invented just to scare the kids away, it didn't work very well.

Has anybody been down to the John O Gaunts Viaduct yet?

Has anybody been down to the John O Gaunts Viaduct yet?

Did the viaduct once ages back... [ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=3574[/ame] was getting dark though so pics turned out crap!

Back