St. Mary's Church, Fulmodeston, Norfolk, December 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
The church of St. Marys lies just outside of the Norfolk village of Fulmodeston. Records of a place of worship on the site go right back to the Doomsday book of 1066. However the current structure mostly dates back to the mid-1450’s when the buttressed west tower was added to the existing nave and chancel structure. The west door in the tower probably dates back as far as 1300. It is one of two defunct churches in the immediate area. The second is the church of John the Baptist in nearby Croxley. Located in a wooded area of the village up an old farmer’s track, the ruins are surrounded by a large graveyard.

The church was most-likely abandoned circa 1882 when the new church of Christ Church Fulmodeston opened mid-way in between St Mary’s and St John’s (the latter also closed). The roof was removed in the early 1900s and the ruins left to nature. The church was eventually Grade II listed on 6th March, 1959, but remains in a state of disrepair and abandonment.

2. The Explore
I’d previously visited the nearby church of St. John way back in November 2015, completely oblivious to the existence of this lovely church nearby. It wasn’t until much later that I saw a report on the place by @Mikeymutt that I found out about the church.

So with being down in Norfolk over Xmas and not being too far away, thought I’d have a trip over here. It’s easy to access and look round and overall was a very enjoyable little explore.

3. The Photos

There’s a church in there somewhere:

A look at the graveyard first:

There are some stunning gravestones in the graveyard:

Robert Riches lived to the grand old age of 97:

This looked like the newest gravestone in the graveyard:

On to the church itself:

And the 13th century west doorway:

Looking back west to the tower:

And to the east:

A piece of fallen masonry:

And a gravestone in the nave’s floor: