Boscombe Down Pillbox

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I noticed this pillbox whilst driving past Boscombe Down Airfield in Wiltshire. I have checked the DOB site but the three PB's listed in the vicinity do not tie up co-ord wise with this one posted here.

Location Map

Boscombe1.jpg

External View - the opening is the bricked up entrance to the box. It is a bit of a squeeze to get into the PB.
Once in it was even harder to get back out again.

DSC_4400.jpg

View towards Boscombe Down Airfield. The large structure in the centre that can be seen on the airfield is the Weighbridge Hangar which was built for the Bristol Brabazon aircraft
- but thats another story.

DSC_4403.jpg

Bricked up loophole

DSC_4407.jpg

Internal view of the bricked up entrance

DSC_4406.jpg

Looking towards Boscombe Down

DSC_4416.jpg

Final external view - the loopholes all appear to be at ground level

DSC_4413.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Never mind getting in and out, how did you avoid the MPs being that close to the airfield? I have tried to stop along the road to take some pics there and been moved on twice!!

Good spot. I've got six listed around Boscombe Down that aren't on the DoB, all but this one are inside the perimeter.

Just what I was thinking...stunning pic and an interesting find, Alf. But, how on earth did you get through there? :confused:

Getting in was easy it was getting back out again that was the problem :p The box floor is below ground level. I had visions of being stuck in there with me just forlornly gazing out across the field waiting for someone to notice :mrgreen: Or being stuck half in half out of that opening. Try explaining that one away :p

Never mind getting in and out, how did you avoid the MPs being that close to the airfield? I have tried to stop along the road to take some pics there and been moved on twice!!

Friday afternoon 5pm the place is like a ghost town :mrgreen:

Getting in was easy it was getting back out again that was the problem :p The box floor is below ground level. I had visions of being stuck in there with me just forlornly gazing out across the field waiting for someone to notice :mrgreen: Or being stuck half in half out of that opening. Try explaining that one away :p

Friday afternoon 5pm the place is like a ghost town :mrgreen:

The same thing went through my mind when faced with this

100_0723.jpg

As I was on my own, I didn't go in. There was no field to gaze forlornly across and getting stuck halfway out would have resulted in me ending up as food for the woodland wildlife. :lol::lol:

PS We ought to have a 'Bridge too far' thread for this lol!

Last edited:
The same thing went through my mind when faced with this

100_0723.jpg

As I was on my own, I didn't go in. There was no field to gaze forlornly across and getting stuck halfway out would have resulted in me ending up as food for the woodland wildlife. :lol::lol:

PS We ought to have a 'Bridge too far' thread for this lol!

What is that Munchh that you were trying to get into :confused:

What is that Munchh that you were trying to get into :confused:

A PB alf. Thickwalled type 24. http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55220

The entrance is partially blocked with material from the original disguise (of a station building). I can't get clear enough pics of it at the moment and intend to post it when I do. Unusual box in that a lot of it's disguise is still in place. It's on the TSL/ATI and I would be glad to show you if you're down this way. Anyone prepared to enter a PB without knowing they can get out again can explore with me anytime :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back